Saturday, January 8, 2011

FARM DAY


Today was the first pickup of the year at our farm co-op. We got some great stuff today. The theme was "breakfast" and the people there really outdid themselves. We got:
- a package of Rainbow Microgreens -- having them for dinner with a sliced tomato.
- 1 pound of crimini mushrooms -- thinking of using them in a mushroom and onion tart.
- 4 York apples -- another apple and cranberry pie coming up!
- 2 pounds of onions -- red and yellow
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes
- 3 bagels -- one plain, one poppy seed, and one everything (that one's mine!)
- 1/2 pound of mild cheddar cheese -- I can see macaroni and cheese in my future
- 2 vanilla yogurts
- 1 dozen eggs, and
- 1/2 pound bacon
Some of this I can eat, and some will have to wait. But I'm very happy with our selection.

While we were waiting for our turn to get to the refrigerator at the farm, I was standing next to two women who each had a little boy about 4 or 5 years old. It was obvious they did not know each other, but the two boys started talking to each other. One said, "I live in Philly-del-phee." The other boy's mouth dropped open in surprise and he said, "You do? Guess what! I live in Philly-del-phee too." The two ladies and I couldn't help but laugh. They were so serious about it.

We got more snow today. In fact it is still snowing. It was a little slippery trying to get there, but God kept us safe and we made it both ways. We didn't know if the farm market would be closing early, so we went almost as soon as they opened. A lot of the streets hadn't been plowed yet. We got about another 3 inches on top of the 1 we had the other day. The forecast is for another big storm on Tuesday.

Our car is going back in the shop on Monday. The check engine light went on yesterday and will not go off. So back it goes. We are going to have a hard time paying for another repair. Our money for this month is almost gone. I hope when I see the doctor on the 18th she says I can go back to work. I need the paycheck.

I want to finish cleaning up the house so it's goodbye for now. Does cleaning ever end?


6 comments:

  1. What is this Farm co-op thing about? I am guessing that you join the club by paying a fee, then you get food for less money than at the grocery?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have two farms in Philadelphia. This is one of them -- Greensgrow. They support local agriculture and besides the things they grow they bring in items from Lancaster and Dauphin Counties and from South Jersey. We pay around $400 at the beginning of the season (Summer and Winter)and then every other week we get products from them. All the food is organic and since I have been eating it my blood tests have been better. I think that's worth the money. Besides, I like getting surprise food every two weeks and then discovering new recipes to use. I found I like some veggies that I would never have bought in the store. They also have a "swap box" where if you really hate something (or can't eat it for some reason) you can swap it for something else in the box. You pay the initial fee, and then there's no extra charge for the food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty neat program. I just never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found an article about it in the newspaper around 3 years ago. Joe and I checked out the farm stand part of it where anyone can go and buy from the local farmers. We liked it so much that we joined the winter co-op. Then we joined the summer. It's a great program. The food is so much fresher than anything you can buy in the supermarket. And it's fun to talk to the local suppliers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, I have heard about co-ops or CSA's. I have never tried one, but I sure would love to. I didn't know there was such a thing as a winter co-op! That is wonderful. I absolutely loved your photo of what you got in your last package. That is fantastic! I love the variety...the bagels, the bacon and cheese, the microgreens! Seriously, I am so jealous! I am going to have to do this someday. I agree that the surprise of what's in the package is the greatest! Especially when you make yourself try new things. My friend has a lot of local beef and pork in her freezer. Sometimes I give her $25 and she will bring me a variety of whatever she thinks is worth $25. I love it! I don't have to think, and it doesn't matter...I will create or find a recipe for whatever she gives me...and I abslolutely love it! To me, that's fun...people must think I'm crazy! ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bonnie, I love going to the farm. You never know what you're going to get, but it's always good. And I like getting organic food. You have a good deal with your friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.