Thursday, June 30, 2016

KNITTING PART 2



It has been a month since I started making my "mystery shawl". If you don't know what I'm talking about, go back and read my previous post called "Knitting" from earlier this month. I bought a pattern that gives you part of it each week for the five weeks of June. You don't see a picture of the shawl you are making, so it's a surprise as you go along. I began it right away and have been working on it for a month now. 

But... 

 As I went along it got further and further out of sync with the pattern until nothing was lining up. I ripped out the last 25 rows and started again. It was going good until... 

I got up to row 18 and took a look at it. It was terrible. From having done it before I had a bit of an idea of what it was supposed to look like and this was NOTHING like it. *sigh* I got very discouraged and... I RIPPED IT ALL OUT. 

Yes, the whole month's worth of work is gone is about 3 minutes. I couldn't go on with it looking like it did. I just about cried when I did this. It had gotten so messed up that I couldn't even find where I had gone wrong. And after seeing my friend Carolyn's same shawl on Sunday I knew I was WAY off. 

But... 

I went online to several sites and finally found what I was looking for on Amazon. I bought new needles and new yarn. The yarn colors are "Marshmallow" and "Lollipop". What fun names! They arrived in the mail today and I started remaking the mystery shawl. So far I have ripped it out three times. And now I have finally gotten it right. All the stitches are where they should be. The pattern is working out. The stitch count is right. Of course I've gotten only 20 rows done (and they're short rows) but I feel like it's going to work out this time. I'm very confident. I'll let you know how it goes.





Kathy

9 comments:

  1. Go for it! I love the color names marshmallow & lollipop! They seem to echo optimism & joy. I applaud your persistance. Have a wonderful day! woof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should learn to knit. It's a wonderful pasttime.

      Delete
  2. How discouraging, Kathy. Well, glad you are on the right track now. That is one thing I never learned to do-knit (or crochet) although I do all kinds of sewing, etc. I can't wait to see it when you are done.
    I read back a bit-love the stories and my favorite fruit is watermelon, too...and I am not a big berry fan except for strawberries (oh and I do like raspberry jam)....lol
    Hope you have a wonderful. 4th. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. I was discouraged, but it will turn out better now. I am using the correct weight yarn and size needles. Can't wait to see it finished. I have no idea what it will look like.

      Delete
  3. I've tried to knit. It dries out my hands and I get so frustrated ripping the rows out.
    I like that you just keep plugging along. That shows how patient you are.
    Please show us the finished shawl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it patient or determined? I like it that someone else is doing it along with me. It keeps my determination up to finish.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I remember that you liked to knit! The day that you and I were supposed to meet in Lancaster, but it didn't work out, I had a gift for you. It must have been around Christmas time because I bought this big Mrs. Claus and she was knitting. I was so disappointed that we didn't meet because I wanted to surprise you with a doll that knitted. Oh well, she is up in my attic knitting away...... Ha! Ha!

      Anyway, I am happy to hear that you found the right weight of yarn and the right needles. Can't wait to see the finished piece of work.

      Delete
    3. Aww, that is so sweet. Who knows, maybe I'll get to meet you in Ohio. Joe and I have been traveling quite a bit since I retired.

      Delete
  4. Knitting is fun but also disappointing. I don't like ripping rows out. Whats even worse when I think I'm fine, I find dropped stitches a few rows down!!ARG!!! But then I keep at it and it's done. I haven't knitted in awhile and need to get a throw done soon for a gift. Need a pattern off Ravelry. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.