Sunday, November 4, 2018

SUNDAY PRAISE - REVIVE US AGAIN

Good morning, friends!  This is the day that the Lord has made.  We will rejoice and be glad in it.



One of the hymns we are singing in church this morning is "Revive Us Again."  Again, I had difficulty finding something out about this hymn.  Here's what I did find.

William P. MacKay wrote this hymn and John J. Husband composed the music.  William MacKay was born in Montrose, Scotland in 1839.  He graduated from the University of Edinburgh as a doctor but was later ordained as a Presbyterian minister.  He wrote quite a few hymns.  John Husband was born in Plymouth, England around 1760.  In 1809 he emigrated to the U.S. where he not only worked in a church in Philadelphia, but also taught music.

The original title of the hymn was "Thine the Glory" and was included in an 1858 hymnal.  The words come from Psalm 85:6 -- "Will you not revive us again, that your people may rejoice in you?"

With that being said, let's listen to the hymn.  Again, I had difficulty finding a good video to show you and this was the best I could do.


Have a wonderful Sunday.  I'm heading to church to worship our Lord.

Kathy

6 comments:

  1. I love this hymn! Louis Dean is playing you tube videos of gospel music while we get ready for church....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely hymn, thank you for sharing.
    Enjoy your worship service.
    Hugs,
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, Some hymns stay with us forever. I remember standing side by side with Mrs. Russell ( my guardian angel) in our church and singing hymns. I miss that great lady and thank God she came into my life. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved singing this hymn! It felt so uplifting. Hearing here on your blog this morning started my day off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely. Thank you for sharing and for the history. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.