Monday, May 25, 2015

MEMORIAL DAY COOKOUT AT MY SISTER'S HOUSE

Each year my sister, Elaine, has a cookout on Memorial Day weekend.  Most years she has them on Sunday because she has to work on Saturday.  Most years I'm working on Saturday also.  Lately I haven't been able to go because by the time I got there after church on Sunday it would be just about time to turn around and go home.  But this year neither she nor I were working on Saturday and so she had it then.

Joe got an upper respiratory infection so he didn't go.  My friend, Chrissy, went with me though.  We were going to leave at 10:00.  Then 10:30.  Then 11:00.  You know how it goes.  We left around 11:30 but I had to stop at Rite Aid to get gift bags and birthday cards since we were celebrating both Marion and Frank's birthdays.  Then we took off.  It's about a 2 hour drive to get to my sister's house, but we made good time and got there around 1:30 p.m.

I had brought my "world famous potato salad".  Everyone was waiting for it.  I took just a picture of it, but my brother, Larry, insisted on taking a "blog-worthy" picture of me presenting it.


You can see we're wearing jackets.  It was none too warm up there.

Elaine cooked the hot dogs and hamburgers.  She also had barbecued chicken wings.  I love chicken wings and these were really good!


Everyone brought something.  Larry brought some really good macaroni salad.  There were chips, cheese puffs, onion rings, strawberry parfait, raw veggies and dip, apples and cinnamon dip that was to die for (Chrissy made it and I got the recipe), and so much more.

Elaine's dog Cody and her friend Frank's dog Sidney were little beggers.  But cute little beggers.

Cody

Sidney
 After we ate we sat around talking.  It was nice to be so laid back.

Marion and Kim

My brother, Larry.  He does the blog Exploration Photography that you can find on my sidebar.

Frank and Rich
Larry was taking pictures of everyone and everything.  So I took a picture of him.  I did it as a joke, but it actually turned out pretty good.  I was surprised.

 
My sister-in-law, Kim, and I were both wearing Ocean City, New Jersey shirts so you know we had to get our picture taken.

 
Marion's birthday is tomorrow and Frank's on June 4th so we celebrated their birthdays.

It was a beautiful cake.  I loved the candles.

Elaine lighting the candles.

Frank and Marion as we were singing to them.

We were laughing so hard watching Marion blow out all those candles.  I think the one laughing the loudest was Marion herself.
 I wanted to leave earlier than we actually did.  Chrissy and I left around 8:00 p.m. and got home around 10:00 p.m.  Some of those roads home are twisty and dark.  I mean DARK.  And I don't like driving them after the sun sets.  But we got back safely.  I took her home first.  Ha, ha!  She lives next door to me, but I was kidding her about it.

It was a great day.  And now I have to get ready for today.  Another fun day is planned.  Hopefully I will have another post for you later today.

Kathy

4 comments:

  1. What great photos! Looks like everyone had a lot of fun.I like your photo of Larry.The cake is so pretty.I love both of the 'beggers' who attended the party. Too cute! Sorry Joe had to miss it. Hope he feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun time, and good pictures as well. Hope you have another fun day, and that your hubby feels better also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. World famous potato salad... yum. Is there any left over? It looks like it was a really fun cookout at your sister's house. It's great that you were able to get the day off so that you could spend some time with your family. It's too bad that Joe couldn't make it, but I do hope he feels better. Happy Memorial Day... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is your potato salad as good as mine? HAHAHA!! I bet it is yummy. Glad you had a good time at your sister's house. Sorry to hear that Joe couldn't join you but hopefully he is getting better. Phil and I were at a BBQ on Sat evening with friends for a I Do BBQ since Teresa's son is getting married so there was a shower as well. It was fun. I went to the car and got my jacket halfway through the time there as it got chilly. I am just now catching up on blog reading since I'm sitting around. Recovering from a tooth extraction yesterday. Just feeling lazy and doing ok. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.