Friday, February 22, 2013

THE WORLD WITHOUT COMPUTERS AND OTHER HAPPENINGS

What a time we've been having at the library.  Last week we had a constant high pitched screech coming from the router.  Try working with that all day, day after day.  And the wifi has been out for over a week.  So on Wednesday our IT guy came out to fix the thing.  By this time it had resolved itself, but he thought it was a good idea to change things out.  He said the computers would go down for 2 minutes tops.  Well as of yesterday they have been out for 2 DAYS.  People come in to use the computers and we have to tell them there aren't any.  We can't check any books in, so we have been piling them on any shelf at the front desk that I can empty.  We have about 3 or 4 hours of work to clear everything and put them back on the shelves.  To check things out, we have to write down the card number and the book or disk number.  We have about 6 hours worth of entering to do.  We have three big totes (so far) of books being transferred to our branch for holds.  Another 3 hours of work.  Then there's new cards to be entered and mailed out.  I don't want to even think about how busy we are going to be!

We are closed today and because it is my Saturday to work, I have today off.  The computer people are supposed to be in there today fixing the problem.  We can only hope.  Every day that goes by makes more work for us and more disgruntled customers.

Many people who come in think that this is the reason we have no computers:


But that is not the case!

Yesterday I took Joe to the dentist at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital.  He has to go to a hospital because of his epilepsy.  He has two teeth that need to be extracted and it is too dangerous in a regular dentist's office because the lights can cause him to have a seizure.  He will be having his teeth extracted on the 21st of March.

It was fun being down center city Philly.  I really am a city girl.  I love the traffic, the people walking, the tall buildings, the noise, bustle, etc.  I know that sounds strange to some people, but to me it's invigorating.

While we were waiting in the lobby of the hospital for our ride, we saw the most interesting thing.  A Brinks truck was stopped in front of the PNC Bank.  I guess he was either picking up or dropping money off.  A SEPTA (public transit) bus came down the street in the lane next to him, but could not pass him because his mirror was sticking out into the next lane.  The driver honked several times to no avail.  Finally she got out of the bus, pushed the mirror against the side of the truck, got back into the bus and drove off.  The truck driver runs out of the bank, yelling and waving his hands.  He goes to see his mirror and another bus comes by and he can't move across the street.  Then a lot of other cars come by.  Finally he gets to his mirror and, yelling and complaining, moves his mirror back into place.   Everyone in the lobby was watching this, commenting, and laughing.  If he had parked like he was supposed to instead of leaving his truck in the middle of the street, it wouldn't have happened.  He finally drove off and we all applauded.  Such fun!  There is always something happening in the city.

Last Tuesday I made lemon sugar cookies for Bible study.  They turned out so good.  I put yellow sugar on top to make them look more "lemony".
  
  I am glad to get back into my baking.

Like I mentioned, I have today off since I am working tomorrow.  So I am going to get off of here and get some things done around the house.  Take care everyone! 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a lovely day indeed!!
    People watching - and BUS/TRUCK watching is so much fun!
    Wish I had a lemon cookie right about now.
    Happy Weekend! Hopefully your computers will be up when you go back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was funny that everyone watching applauded when the drive took off. If he only knew! People are funny, aren't they?

    You bake the best looking goodies!
    It's a sure thing that everyone will come to Bible study with yummy goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've read your 3 latest posts. Wow...alot happening around there. I loved your long rose. Hope it's doing good. That's one you won't forget in a long time! Hope you all are doing well. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a driver! He should have parked better.I would have applauded too!
    Computers are great until...
    I cannot comprehend how behind you must be.Beyond busy.Hopefully
    the IT tech got it fixed & all's well.
    I will keep Joe in prayer for his dental appt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.