Monday, July 30, 2018

SISTERS GET AWAY, DAY 2 PART 1

Friday morning Elaine and I both woke up with stuffy noses and scratchy throats.  We had slept on the foam pillows but had put the feather pillows underneath because we both use two pillows and they found only one pillow for each of us.  Those feathers are nasty stuff if you are allergic.  And we are.  But we got up, showered in their very nice shower, and dressed to get on with our day.

La Quinta give you a free breakfast with your room.  And it's not just a donut and coffee.  Elaine had creamed chipped beef over homemade biscuits, a side of fruit and a cup of tea.  I had scrambled eggs, hash, fruit and lemon and cucumber water.  And I even went back for seconds.

The waitress at the hotel breakfast room remembered me and was talking to me for a few minutes.  Her name is Jessie and she is so sweet.

We went back to the room, packed up and loaded up the car.  When I went back to the desk to check out, the desk clerk said, "Hello, Mrs. Specht.  I was hoping I would get to see you before you left."  It was Brittany, the one who helped us so much at Thanksgiving last year.  She asked after Joe and said she hoped she would see us when we come back next time.  Yes, there are other places to stay in Lancaster, but when you have a clean place to stay and people who remember you from visit to visit, it makes your stay so much nicer.

After we left, we headed for an antique store that Elaine wanted to visit.  She is quite an artist.  She will find the most run down and beat up piece and make it into something beautiful.  Just like on the show "Flea Market Flip."  I just see an old box, she sees a jewel.  So I took her to this store we had never visited to look around.







As I said, I am not much of an antiques person unless it was something handed down in my family.  But looking around I did see a lot of old Christmas tree ornaments that were like the ones on my grandmother's tree when I was little.  I think I will go back and get some of them for my tree this Christmas.  I think Joe will like them too.

Here is the treasure Elaine found.  To me it is an old box.  To Elaine it is something to be restored and cherished.  I call it her treasure chest.  It rode home in comfort on the back seat.






I wanted to stop at the Fulton Steamboat Hotel to look into their gift shop.  I haven't been there in years because they are always full up.  It's almost impossible to get a room there without a year's waiting.  The gift shop was alright, but nothing special.  I did see a little book which I got for Joe.


You can see he really liked it.


I was running low, so we stopped to get gas and then it was on to the Farmers Market.  But that's another story for another day.  Come back tomorrow for the end of our vacation.

Kathy

6 comments:

  1. I loved seeing the old wringer washer! The one we had as a little girl was a bit smaller,no wooden legs & a hose that attached to the sink. I still can see the newspapers spread on the floor to absorb some of the water.Thank you for the memory! I can actually see the possibilities that Elaine see in the chest. Hopefully she'll share an 'after'photo of her treasure.Sounds like it was a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had another good day on your trip. I loved the antique place too and the chest is a jewel. Would love to see it after she restores it. Hope the new week is a good one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos. I, too, would have loved to roam around in that antique place. My very first washing machine, aside from my hands, was a wringer machine. Such memories! I'd love to see a photo of the chest after your sister re-finishes it. The little book for Joe was a nice find. I'm so glad you girls have been enjoying yourselves so much. Have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm enjoying the photos of your trip very much but wondering when you will stop by and pick me up! heehee! I know I would fit in with both of you and be an 'older sister'! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos and it sure sounds like you two were having a wonderful time! I hope we get to see that box once she is finished restoring it!! On to the Market!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the old washer too! And the box your sister bought was a good find. I'd like one like that. I'm one to buy baskets but I've got enough of those. We like to stay in certain hotel chains too. Been to the Comfort Inn in Newport and the manager remembers us and so do a few staff. It's nice when they stop and talk with you! Glad you had a good day out. Farmers Market..how fun! Can't wait to see it. happy night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.