Friday, September 8, 2017

WHAT I'VE BEEN READING - A LOVE FOR LEAH

It has been quite a while since I have had time to sit down and read.  In fact I got several books out of the library and returned them without even cracking the covers.  This is after I renewed them twice.  But I really want to get back into reading.  It's so relaxing.

The other week when I returned my unread books I looked around the library.  OK.  I admit it.  I'm an addict when it comes to libraries.  Why do you think I worked in one for over 20 years?  I picked up book after book but nothing caught my fancy.  I thought to myself, "What are you doing?  Do you know how many books you have at home to read?"

I was about to leave (after spending time with my former co-workers of course) when I took a look at the display on the circulation desk.  What?  An Amish book I hadn't read?  And a "Love Inspired" one at that.  I picked it up and took it with me.  Guess what.  I actually finished it!  It was "A Love for Leah" by Emma Miller.  Not your usual romance novel, it had some interesting twists.

Image result for A love for leah 

Widow Leah Yoder married for love once.  Now that she's come home to Seven Poplars, she wants a marriage of convenience that will provide a longed for family without dishonoring the memory of her late husband.  A steady, serious older man would be ideal -- someone completely unlike handsome, fun-loving Thomas Stutzman.  She and the aspiring organic farmer agree to court to prove that this time, the matchmaker has made a mistake!  But as their friendship deepens, will Leah settle for what she thought she needed, or put fear aside for a second chance at happiness?

One thing I found interesting was that Emma Miller used all kinds of people as her central characters.  There was Leah's sister, Susannah and her husband David who had Downs Syndrome.  And her friend, Ellie, and the blacksmith, Jakob, who were little people.  So great that she recognized that God created all kinds of people and all those people have worth. 

5 comments:

  1. Kathy, I miss reading also. I used to try to read classics...just to know the story. Then I love any book by Frank McCourt...He did not live long enough for me... I loved his books. Blessings for a fun filled weekend, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read all of Frank McCourt's books also. My sister loves his writing. I have also read his brother Malachy McCourt's books. I don't think he was as good a writer, though. Yes, he certainly did die before his time in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. Glad you found a book you could read and enjoy! I have not been able to read for a while and I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could read without going to sleep! I have audiobooks and try to listen to at least one a month. Glad you found one that you were interested in and bet it is a good one. Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good book with all the varied characters. I must confess to being a book-a-holic. For every 2 I return to the library,I take out 5 (with 5 on reserve!).Yes, I have a 'to be read' stack at home that is (almost) as tall as I am! I guess there are worse addictions..I am currently reading Erin Hunter's (cat) Warriors series. It is really fast paced adventure. Loving it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.