Friday, May 2, 2014

PHILLY FRIDAY -- THE ZOO BALLOON



For 10 years Channel 6 (ABC) sponsored a hot air balloon at the Philadelphia Zoo.  Unfortunately the balloon was damaged by the accumulation of snow during this past winter.  The weight of the snow on the balloon was estimated to be between 5 and 10 tons.  So on February 4, 2014 the manufacturer suggested that the balloon be deflated.  The damage cut short the life of the balloon which was intended to fly for its final year in 2014.


This was actually the second Channel 6 Zoo Balloon to fly at the Philadelphia Zoo.  This type of balloon's life expectancy is about five to seven years.  The first balloon lasted six years and this current one would have been flying for its seventh year.  The Zoo and Channel 6 staff were preparing for farewell festivities and a final send off after Labor Day this year.


So sad.  But wait.  There's more.


 Another balloon has come to Philadelphia from England, but just for a short while.



After its demise, thousands took to social media to share their memories of the balloon which for $15 took visitors about 400 feet into the air for a view of the zoo grounds, Fairmount Park, and Center City.   After reading all these stories, zoo officials made plans for another balloon to fly until October.  The zoo struck an agreement with Lindstrand Hot Air Balloons, Ltd. to have the balloon for this year only.


The new balloon displays the words "Soar Once More."   The Channel 6 Zoo Balloon has been a part of Philadelphia since June 2002 when it was introduced as the only tethered helium balloon located in an American zoo.


I have never been up in the balloon.  I am afraid of heights.  But I am seriously thinking of doing it this year before it disappears.

Kathy
------------------------------------------
Friday's weather:
Partly cloudy
High:  70 degrees
Low:  52 degrees
(It's been just perfect for the past two days!)
Sunrise:  5:59 a.m.
Sunset:  7:56 p.m.
13 hours and 57 minutes of daylight 

12 comments:

  1. Oh...You have to GO! That would be so cool!
    What a great idea and promotion.
    I'll go with you and hold your hand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, Christine, you're on. If you will come to Philly from Washington state and hold my hand, I will get on the balloon.

      Delete
  2. I'll take a trip up in the balloon. Imagine the pictures I could get:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Want to go together? I might have talked Elaine into doing it too. MIGHT!!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the balloon photos. I didn't ride in any tethered balloons yet. I could have a couple years ago but the lines were too long. I've been to a few balloon festivals in my time and they are fun. Have a good weekend. Not sure how ours will turn out as it's supposed to rain tomorrow so am gonna see what happens. We'd planned on outdoor photos for my daughter's college graduation photos. There's always next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still undecided if I'm going to get over my fear and do it.

      Delete
  4. You should do it, Kathy. You will always wish you had once it is gone. My daughter has been up in one and she absolutely loved it. What fun and I am glad the zoo is going to keep one up for one more year- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too. Another company bought the balloon but doesn't want it for another year. Good for us!

      Delete
  5. I'm with you,Kathy. I do NOT like heights. But maybe.....The few times I've tried something, 'high'
    it seems okay if I look "out" not "down'. I agree with Larry that the photo op would be spectacular! The
    fact it's a one year only event would make photos especially memorable.
    Go for it, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say GO FOR IT!!! Of course, I haven't been up in one either!! But I may.....someday!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.