Monday, May 5, 2014

MOVIE MONDAY -- SAVING MR. BANKS



2013 film

When Walt Disney's daughters begged him to make a movie of their favorite book, P.L. Travers' "Mary Poppins", he made them a promise -- one he didn't realize would take 20 years to keep.  In his quest to obtain the rights, Walt comes up against a curmudgeonly, uncompromising writer who has absolutely no intention of letting her beloved magical nanny get mauled by the Hollywood machine.  But, as the books stop selling and money grows short, Travers reluctantly agrees to go to Los Angeles to hear Disney's plans for the adaptation.  For those two short weeks in 1961, Walt Disney pulls out all the stops.  Armed with imaginative storyboards and chirpy songs from the talented Sherman brothers, Walt launches an all-out onslaught on P.L. Travers, but the prickly author doesn't budge.  He soon begins to watch helplessly as Travers becomes increasingly immovable and the rights begin to move further away from his grasp.  It is only when he reaches into his own childhood that Walt discovers the truth about the ghosts that haunt her,  and together they set Mary Poppins free to ultimately make one of the most endearing films in cinematic history.

Release date:  December 13, 2013 (USA)
Director:  John Lee Hancock
Running time:  126 minutes
MPAA rating:  PG-13

**********************************
Another great movie.  This was so good I could watch it again and again and I think each time I would see something different in it.  I remember when the movie "Mary Poppins" came out.  I loved Mary Poppins and had read all the books.  Many times.  I was not allowed to go to movies as a child and so even though I wanted to see the movie, I didn't until I was an adult.  But I knew the music.

When I was graduating 6th grade in elementary school I was one of those chosen to play the music from the movie for the closing exercises.  I had the book with the words to all the songs and the music, so I learned them all, even the ones we weren't playing in the group.

But back to the movie.  The story line was so good.  The actors were believable as the characters.   It was really interesting to see all the behind the scenes things that you have to go through to make a movie.

The best part, though, was the background story of P.L. Travers' life.  You understand so much of why she acted the way she did as an adult when you see her childhood.  And so much of Walt Disney was explained as well.

Joe and I were both crying at the end.  It was so touching.  Such a good story.  Please go see it if you haven't already and let me know what you think.

Kathy

1 comment:

  1. Kathy, Thank you for this post. I have not thought that I would want to see this movie...but now I do. You make it sound worth sitting still for..as I hate to sit too long. LOL. Blessings for a great week, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.