Sunday, August 28, 2011

THE AFTERMATH

We were very fortunate.  God was very good to us.  There was absolutely no damage to our property (that we know of anyway) from the hurricane.  There wasn't even a drop of water in our basement.  I know it was because of all of your prayers so thank you so much.

My back has been hurting me all weekend, so I have been sleeping on the sofa because it is harder than our mattress.  So I heard all the wind and rain raging outside.  I turned on the TV to drown out the sound.  We have a satellite dish TV and it went out only once for about an hour and then came back.  I got on the internet and started reading back on different blogs.  I was on for quite a while and never lost power or internet service.  We made out so much better than some other people I know.

My sister lives in northern New Jersey.  Her friend who lives a mile from her had a neighbor's tree fall down and go through the roof of her house and destroy one of her bedrooms, putting the whole house out of alignment and causing cracks in the walls.  The rain was pouring through the broken roof which caused her ceiling in the room below to cave in.  Please pray for Sue, her husband and sonNeedless to say she is very shaken up.

The street in front of my sister's church was a raging river.  Her pastor posted pictures and the water was up to his hips with quite a flow to it since it is a steep street.  There were also trees down.  I guess you can figure they didn't have a church service this morning.

We didn't have church either.  The winds were very strong and there were some flooded streets, so it would have been dangerous to drive there.

There were some tornadoes spotted in New Jersey and in the Philly suburbs.  My brother and his family spent quite a bit of the night in their basement waiting it out.

It is back to work for me tomorrow.  I wonder how the library made out. This will be an interesting week with our downsized staff.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you came through just fine. Sorry to hear about Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear the storm passed you by with a wink & a nod ;-)

    Sorry to hear about your sister though: she’s on my Prayer List now. Her shakiness is totally understandable!

    Two of my husband’s nieces live in Maryland and Connecticut; the one in Maryland had basement flooding and the destruction of a tree in her front lawn … but otherwise they are fine, thank God. Haven’t heard anything about Connecticut yet, but am assuming she is okay as the storm rushed through and blew itself into Canada.

    I hope your streets were clear enough to drive safely & that things went well at the Library today :-)

    ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that you all faired okay. My prayers are with all those that have been hit hard by the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.