Saturday, January 15, 2011

FINISHING A BOOK

I have SO MANY library books out.  I don't know why I thought I could read so much while I was sick. I had great ambitions for myself, but it turned out that I couldn't even hold a book, let alone concentrate on what I was reading.  I ended up spending the first two or three weeks laying on the sofa and watching mindless TV that I didn't have to think about.  I guess pain-killing drugs will do that to you.

For the past two weeks or so I have decided I really need to get these books read and back to the library.  My co-workers have been great renewing them all the time, but I really have to return some.

Today I finished the third book.  Three books in two weeks isn't so bad.  This was a children's history book, but was so good!  It's called The American Story: 100 true tales from American history by Jennifer Armstrong.  It starts in the 1600s and ends up in the year 2000.  Most of it I already knew, but I actually learned some things from it.  I was a history major in college and love reading history books.  I always say you can't know where you're going, if you don't know where you've been.

I wish I had a time machine and could visit some of these places in the past.  But I have a feeling that the past we glamorize so much wouldn't really be as much fun as we think it was if we actually had to live in it. 

4 comments:

  1. I think that your last comment is right. Life wasn't all that glamorous back then. I am glad that you are doing better each week and able to read to books of your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Cherdecor, I am doing better. Except for that virus I had this week that is. I look at old houses and think, oh that is so pretty. Can you imagine living in a place like this? And then I remember they had to go to the outhouse in freezing cold weather and it doesn't seem like such a good lifestyle after all. Ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yowza, you have been sick for 2 weeks! That is terrible! Sorry to hear you couldn't even pick up a book. Are you doing better now? by the way, that book you mentioned in your post sounds great. I believe you said it was a children's book...I think that's what you said. If that's the case it would be great for me...I am not good at remembering history, I am not good at history facts. A young adult book on history would be very good for me. I have often thought about looking for "A History Book for Dummies" if such a thing even exists. Maybe you could reccomend something for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been sick for over 7 months now, but had my surgery 7 weeks ago. I want to go back to work because I am not getting paid for the time I am out and we are running out of money FAST!

    There is a "History for Dummies" book. That's the title. Also "American History for Dummies", "British History for Dummies", and "World History for Dummies." The book I read was good because it was a bunch of short true stories and was easy to concentrate on because they were 3 to 4 pages long. I could put the book down when I got tired and go back to it later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.