Thursday, January 20, 2011

BREAD

For about a week now I have been saying I should make some bread.  I don't know why, but I have been wanting some homemade bread.  And every day I get so tired I end up not doing it.  So today I got up and before I even ate breakfast I started on my bread.  I use a recipe from the Betty Crocker Cookbook my mom gave me when I was in high school.  I like this recipe because there is no kneading involved.

STREAMLINED BATTER BREAD

Ingredients:
1 package active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
Melted butter, margarine or shortening

In a large mixer bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
Add shortening, sugar, salt and 2 cups of the flour.

Blend 1/2 minute on low speed, scraping bowl constantly.  Beat 2 minutes medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  (By hand, beat 300 vigorous strokes.)
Stir in remaining flour until smooth.  Scrape batter from side of bowl.


Cover; let rise in warm place until double, about 30 minutes.  Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes.
 Spread evenly in greased loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches. 
 Smooth out top of batter by patting into shape with floured hand.
 Cover; let rise until double, about 40 minutes.
Heat oven to 375 degrees.  Bake 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped.  Brush top with melted butter.  Remove loaf from pan; cool on wire rack.
It is half gone.  Guess that tells you how good it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.