Thursday, August 4, 2022

SISTERS GETAWAY DAY ONE


 

Hello, friends!  It's that time of year again.  Time for my annual vacation with my sister.  We always have so much fun.  And we always go to Lancaster County.

Elaine was good enough to drive since I've been having trouble with my leg.  Lots of trouble.  I think I will have to give in one of these days and have the knee replaced.  *sigh*

We left late morning and made our way out there.  At that time of day we missed all the rush hour traffic which was good.  I took some pictures of Center City as we drove through it.





I think Philly is such a pretty city.  It's so full of energy too.  I used to love working down there.

The scenery sure changed in about an hour when we made it to the country.






Even the air smells different out there.  And you just start to relax.  

It was around 1:30 p.m. when we got to Ronks and decided to stop at Dienner's for a late lunch/early dinner.  We both had the ham loaf.  This is my favorite meal there.  It is so good!  Elaine had curly fries and coleslaw with her meal.  I had sweet potato fries and applesauce.


While we were parking, we saw a new thrift store had opened next door to the restaurant.  We both like thrift stores and decided to check it out after we ate.  It is called Freedom Thrift and is an awesome place.  Any of my Lancaster County friends that read this just have to check it out.  It is a Christian store that gives its profits to feed the homeless and help them with clothing and housing.  Such a good thing to support.  I bought two little ceramic bunnies.  They were only $2 each.  I couldn't leave them there, they were so cute.

It was still too early to check into the hotel, so we headed to Village Antiques, Elaine's favorite antique store.  She always finds treasures there.  I was in pain, so I just waited for her in the car and filmed the introduction for my YouTube channel.  A lot of Amish horse and buggies passed.  Route 896 must be a major throughfare for them.  I think there are quite a few farms down the road towards Strasburg.

By the time Elaine was done it was almost time to go to the hotel.  We actually checked in about 10 minutes early, but it didn't make any difference.  Our room was really nice.  The only problem I have is that the beds are so high!  It comes almost to my waist, and I have a very hard time getting into the bed.  Once I'm lying in it, though, it's very comfortable.

It was still early so we didn't want to just stay in the room for the rest of the day, so we headed to Hershey Farm to look into the shops.  Neither of us got a lot.  I bought a bag of party mix, a bag of horse and buggy pretzels, some Turkey Hill lemonade and a bottle of water.  I also got some pull-aparts to take home for Joe and me and a pumpkin whoopie pie for my friend Donna.  I always bring one home for her.

A pull apart is five sticky buns baked on their side in a loaf pan.  It looks like a little loaf of sliced bread, but you pull it apart and eat it like a sticky bun.

And here is a picture of what the horse and buggy pretzels look like.




By this time it was heading for 6:00 p.m.  We were not hungry for dinner, so went back to the hotel room and watched some TV.  About 8:00 p.m. I ate some pretzels and drank my lemonade so that I could take my evening medicine.  I have to take it with food.

That was it for the first day.  Stay tuned for Day 2!

Until later...

Kathy



10 comments:

  1. The bunnies are adorable! I doubt I could have left them.... The pull aparts sound delicious. No way would they have lasted. So glad you both get a chance to get together like this. Can't wait for part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun time! I haven't been down to Lancaster Co in forever. Maybe I can talk my hubby into going there this fall. I have friends visiting there this week. They are going to Sights & Sounds today to see David. I hope you and your sister have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kathy, It sounds like a perfect Day 1 of your sister get-together. I like to visit thrift stores and antique stores too. You got lots of good "eats" at Hershey Farms. Enjoy Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sure looks like fun! I know you love this special trip. Take care and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Off to a great start! Hope that you feel better for the next part. I think those horse and buggy pretzels are darling. I am sure that they are tasty. My bed is high, too. Perhaps they have a step stool for the vertically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a perfect day. Shopping and taking a road trip with my best friend. Total change of scenery can be so relaxing and the shopping sounds terrific!! I love browsing antique and thrift stores. The horse and buggy pretzels are a hoot. Enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like so much fun! I have one sister, and we used to do Sister Weekends, but now we don't live close, and with my dearest's health I can't...sure miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to read that you and sister were able to get together for this annual outing, Kathy, as you have been through so much recently and this outing is sure to life your spirits. We expect to be in Lancaster County sometime in Sept to visit family again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a good time 🌃 with your sister again. I enjoyed being in that area in PA years ago. We went to Strasburg as well when we rode a train. Wish you a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've made hamloaf often when our kids were growing up. I can no longer eat an already mixed one due to the bread crumbs in it. Once in awhile I'll go to the Gene Wenger store in E-town where they sell some without the bread crumbs. Those pretzels are very unique, very Lancaster Co! So glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.