Friday, August 5, 2022

SISTERS GETAWAY DAY 2


 Hello, friends.  Welcome back to the second (and last) day of our Sisters Getaway.  

I had a really great sleep.  Elaine, not so much.  But we got up and had the free breakfast in the hotel.  Usually it has a wide variety of food to choose from. This time it was very pared down.  But I had a large fruit cup, two hard-boiled eggs and two mini lemon poppyseed muffins.  Elaine had the fruit, an egg and a bagel.  When we were finished, we went back to the room, got ourselves together, packed up and checked out.

We went first to Rockvale Mall but went to only one store -- Christmas Tree Hill.  It's an annual thing for us.  They have wonderful things there and I always want to buy the entire store.  I didn't, of course.  But I did get a couple of cute things.




I got this cute little concrete bird.  Hard to see but it has wire feet.  Adorable.  It was marked down twice so I got it for only $4.

I also got this fall gnome sitting on a snail.  So cute.  Elaine liked it too so I got one for her.  This cost about $9.


My legs were killing me, so I checked out and went to sit on the bench outside.  When Elaine came out she had bought me this pretty Kurt Adler jingle bell ornament that says "Joy".


We wanted to get to the Strasburg Railroad to ride the 11:00 train.  Well, we got there, but missed the train.  The next one wasn't until 12:30 and we didn't want to wait that long.  It would have made us really late going home.  So we drove over to the Railroad Museum, parked, and got some beautiful pictures of the scenery.







I like this picture of Elaine taking pictures but I'm not sure if she will.

We headed to the Farmers Market after this.  It was so nice walking through it and we got a lot of good things.

First I stopped at a stand which sold all kinds of jams, jellies and relishes.  I got Vidalia Onion Relish, Apple Cinnamon Jelly, Mango Salsa, and Pepper Jam.  I like to put Pepper Jam on the skin of my chicken and then cook it.  So good.

I bought some sugar-free fudge for Joe which he said was wonderful.  

I also got some lebanon bologna which I can't get in Philly anymore.  It is a wonderful lunchmeat which I ate all the time when I was a kid.  I also got some honey ham which is also wonderful.  

Then I went to the produce section and got two ears of corn which had been picked that morning.  We have already eaten this and it was so good!  I got a head of broccoli (also wonderful), asparagus, and a cantaloupe.

When we were finished there we headed next door to Bird-in-Hand restaurant.  We both had the smorgasbord.  I found out that my eyes are definitely bigger than my stomach.  There are things I don't get very often and I enjoyed it, but boy did my stomach hurt afterwards.  I especially liked the zucchini casserole.  I have to look up the recipe to make it myself.

Then, sadly, it was time to head home.  We left a little early to try to miss rush hour.  And we did miss most of it.  One of the routes we usually use to get home was closed, so I took Elaine the other way and found it was very easy.  And quicker.

So another year of the Sisters Getaway is in the books.  Hopefully when Elaine retires in a couple of years we will be able to do a longer one again.  In the meantime, it was so good to be together and to spend time in Lancaster.

Have a wonderful day, everyone, and I will see you next time.

Kathy




11 comments:

  1. You gals do the best you can to be together and I would say you have been very successful. Yes, a longer time would be nice, but two days is two days! ☺️ I haven't spent two days with my sister in two decades. I enjoyed seeing the gifts you purchased for each other. With all the treats you gathered for Joe, he'll be rooting for you to go on another trip soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful day in Lancaster. I hope to go back some day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad y'all had such a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad such good times always seem to pass way too fast, but it seems you both had a great time together and some great shopping too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh sweet girl, get your knee fixed before your sister retires...so you two can spend more sister trips together. Glad you had fun and got some goodies to take home. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the bell Elaine got you. Ring the joy! I think you would have had to drag me out of the Farmers Market. I like the idea of Onion Relish. Probably baked goods too? Tea biscuits,scones,cranberry bread? It sounds like you both had a good time. Great that you found a better way home too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked photos you to at Strasburg as it's memories for me from trip years ago. Food sounds delicious. Shopping with sister is fun as my sis and I do that in Feb for our birthday month. We've gone a beach a few times as well. Hope your knee feels better soon. My daughter is using a ice pack that goes around her knee that helps as well . I was able to find one at Safeway as older one she had needed replaced due to ice pack dissolved away a bit so it's not old. Hugs and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy, Boy, I sure hope you can get your knee taken care of in the near future. My knees are fine but I know people who have had bad knees and I know it is no fun. I've never tried pepper jelly or pepper jam but I hear it is really good. I just forget to look for it when I am in the stores:( I hope to try it one day though. I'm so glad you were able to get together again with your sister for your annual get-away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo happy you had such a good time! Ellen keeps asking to go to Strasburg Railroad again. It's been a few years. She loves trains. Fresh corn is so good! We love Lebanon sweet bologna. The kids like to spread cream cheese on a slice and roll it up. My sister from NH always takes some home with her when she visits too!
    Sending hugs your way today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy reading about your Sister's Get Away! I feel like I'm with you two. Favorite part is when you two buy something for each other.
    Good memories for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the Bird-in-Hand restaurant and the market! I need to convince my hubby to take a drive down that way this fall. Glad you and your sister had a fun time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.