Thursday, February 3, 2022

CELEBRATING


 

Hello, friends!  Hope you had a great day.  Today was our friend Carole's birthday.  She is such a close friend that Joe and I call her "Ma."  Carole wasn't sure how her birthday was going to go this year.  Her husband died of Covid a few weeks before Christmas.  She had Covid at the same time and wasn't able to be with him or even see him.  It's been hard.

Joe and I decided that we would take her to lunch. She loves to eat out and doesn't like going by herself.  Who does?  She was thrilled that we wanted to go out with her.  We went to her favorite place, Cracker Barrel.  Carole loves to drive and knew exactly where the restaurant was, so she drove.  I was sort of glad because it was very foggy.  If I know where I'm going, fog is OK.  I just take it easy.  But not knowing, trying to figure out where I was, and not being able to see well would have been difficult.

The restaurant wasn't crowded and we got seated right away.  We had a really nice waiter named Jay.  We told him it was Carole's birthday and she was 21.  (She's really in her 80s.)  He smiled and wished her a happy birthday.

Carole and Joe both had the special of the day which was turkey and stuffing with mashed sweet potatoes and cranberry sauce.  As you all know I don't like turkey.  So I got meatloaf with mashed potatoes and broccoli.  They had coffee and I had tea.  Everything was so good.

We were sitting near the fireplace and it was the first time that I ever saw them light it.  Real flames in there.  I felt as if they could be cooking in it because it was pretty big.  That was great to see.

Before I went to pay the bill, I looked around the store.  I was looking for some Valentine's Day decorations because I don't have that many.  They didn't have any though.  In fact, there wasn't much holiday anything there.  I was sort of disappointed because I didn't see much I liked at all.  And I usually am overwhelmed with the choices they have.  Finally Carole and I saw a table with Easter decor on it.  And I fell in love with this little ceramic bunny holding a yellow daisy.  It was only $5 so I got it.  There were only 2 left.

As we were headed for the cash register, Carole saw these other bunnies and pointed them out to me.  They are wooden and say on the front of them "Everyone needs a friend who is all ears."  Of course the bunny has large ears.  So cute.  She urged me to get it and I did.  That one was $6.  I didn't spend much at all.

It was great spending some time with Carole.  We see her at church, but this was a chance to really sit and talk with her.  I'm so glad that we did this.

We were so full that we just had a light dinner.  And I don't think I will need to eat again until tomorrow night.  I am so full.

With that I will end and get on with the other things I have to do tonight before I go to bed.  Talk to you all soon.

Until later...

Kathy






13 comments:

  1. I am glad you went with Carole to celebrate her birthday. Sad that she lost her husband before Christmas. My husband was real sick 2019 with a virus where he slept sitting partly up on couch due to breathing problems. He survived, off a few days from work. I am sure the bunnies looked nice. I enjoy them as well. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a nice gesture, I bet Carole really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your kindness meant a lot to Carole. My heart breaks just thinking of all the people who have lost someone through this pandemic and they couldn't be with them. The bunnies sound cute. I didn't find much to tempt me the last time I went to Cracker Barrel, either...and that's unusual! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy. That was so kind of you to take Carole out for lunch. It is very sad that she lost her husband to Covid. This nasty virus has taken so many good people away from their loved ones. I hope you are feeling better and that you and Joe have a good weekend. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Carole appreciated your thoughtfulness. It was so nice of you. The bunnies sound adorable,especially with the daisy! It seems all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice of you to take her out for her 21st birthday-hahahaha. I love shopping in Cracker Barrel. They have things you never see anywhere else. They also have maple sugar and it is the only place I have ever seen it sold commercially. Love it when the fireplace is blazing away there.
    Happy weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy, It sounds like a fun day out of the house and it was so nice that you and Joe were able to celebrate Carole's birthday with her by taking her to her favorite restaurant. I know she appreciated it. I never decorate for Valentine's day but I did buy a red vinyl kitchen table cloth with little hearts on it and will use it on the table until the day after Valentine's day or until the end of February. Good thinking in purchasing those Easter decorations ahead of time. I do have quite a few cute bunny decorations:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy! Aren't you the sweetest friend! How nice of you to take Carole to dinner. I love Cracker Barrel too! Oddly enough, the Cracker Barrel in New York was better than the one near us in Texas! Hope all is well in your world!
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to read that your friend Carole and myself share the same birthday of Feb 3. It was very nice of you and Joe to treat her to lunch a well. You are such good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love a good Cracker Barrel!!!
    Celebrating with friends is one of God's best blessings, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sure that lunch out and unhurried time meant a great deal to Carole! It's been a long time since we've been to a Cracker Barrel. It might be time for us to go again! I, too, love when there is a fire in the fireplace. Sooo cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a thoughtful thing to do...not at all surprised that you would do it though. You two are the kind of friends that most folks long for 💕 Cracker Barrel is a fun place to eat and shop!
    Sending love and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated Birthday to your friend Carole! So nice of you to take her out and be able to do a little shopping too. Cracker Barrel's meatloaf is very good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.