Sunday, July 4, 2021

SUNDAY PRAISE


 Happy Sunday, friends.  And Happy Independence Day.  I am sitting in my living room looking out of the window and watching the beautiful fireworks.  When I was outside to take pictures of course there weren't any.  I could hear them, but not see them.  Now, of course....  But I am not going out again.  I am just going to enjoy them from here.  I'll do a post on today tomorrow.  Does that make sense?

But today I will tell you the lesson I gave my kids.

DAVID THE SHEPHERD BOY
          David was a shepherd boy.  He took his father's sheep to the hills around Bethlehem and watched over them.  David watched the sheep on sunny days and rainy days, too.
          Being a shepherd was a lonely life.  And sometimes it was scary, too.  One day David heard, "Baa, baa."  It sounded like a lamb was saying, "Help me, help me."  When David turned around he saw a bear carrying a lamb in his teeth.
          "Stop," shouted David.  He quickly put a smooth stone in his sling and whirled it around his head.  As he let go of one end of the sling, the stone flew through the air and hit the bear.
          David ran toward the stunned bear and grabbed the lamb out of the bear's mouth.  Furious, the bear ran toward David.  "Help me, Father God," David must have prayed.  He grabbed the bear, hit it, and watched as the bear fell to the ground.  It was dead!  "Thank you, God, thank you," David said.
          Even when David was afraid or lonely, he knew God was with him.  He wrote many songs to sing to God.  One day when all of the lambs were lying quietly on the green grass, David played his harp and sang, "The LORD is my shepherd.  He gives me everything I need."  (Psalm 23:1).
          David was a happy shepherd boy.  He was God's child.
          (based on Psalm 23)

Do you like to sing?  Many of us can't carry a tune but we are all able to make a joyful noise to the Lord.  Do you sing when you are happy?  Sad?  Afraid?  I sing lots of the time and many days I wake up with a praise song in my head.

Hope you are all having a wonderful holiday and I will be back tomorrow, Lord willing, to tell you about today -- as uneventful as it was.

Kathy




5 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy. Glad you had a nice July 4th. I wanted to tell you that I made the 3 ingredient banana bread you posted on your Youtube channel. It is excellent! I had a slice tonight after dinner. I also enjoyed your Youtube about the books you are reading. They all sound good and I am keeping an eye out for them. Thanks and I hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy the children's lesson. There is something in the simplicity that teaches me. I agree about 'joyful noise'! To God, it's all beautiful! Happy & safe day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th! I watch your YouTube posts also and enjoy seeing your garden, recipes and books. It’s fun to “hear” from someone you know. And as for singing: yes! We especially enjoy praise music (which includes hymns, of course). I often listen to music in the kitchen while I cook. Thank you for the lesson on David too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have a great singing voice but I do enjoy trying! I sing when I'm mowing the yard because I wear headphones and listen to music. I think we live far enough away that I don't upset the neighbors! I'm sure your kiddos liked the story of David. My Grandfather was a shepherd boy in his youth in Greece. I'm sure he didn't run into any bears but I bet he did have to save some sheep here and there! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to sing too. My family was a singing family, we gave many programs at churches even into my adult years. It was my dads favorite!
    Glad you had a good 4th!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.