Monday, July 26, 2021

SUNDAY PRAISE (A DAY LATE AGAIN)


 

Hello, friends!  How are you all today?  Hope it is a wonderful day for you.  I really had every intention of getting this up yesterday, but after church we had to stop at Target. It took so long to get through the store and at the end my legs, feet and back were hurting so much that I was in tears.  I had to sit down at the pharmacy before we could even go to check out.  I was hurting before we went in but walking around the store did not make things better.  We ate when we got home and then I took some pain medication, laid down and slept the rest of the day.  I got up in time to make dinner (a really easy dinner that took only 15 minutes to make), take my medicine and go back to sleep.  I didn't even get the dishes done!

I had four little girls yesterday.  I wish I had some boys too, but they are very happy it is an all girl class.  😉  After all girls rule and boys drool.  Ha, ha!  We had the story of Elijah and Elisha.  I find the stories with them hard to teach because I'm forever mixing up their names!  But here is the story of Elijah and Elisha.

Elijah was God's prophet.  He knew that he would go to Heaven one day and would need someone to take his place.  "God," he prayed.  "Who shall I choose to take my place?"

"Go find Elisha," God told him.  "He will take your place as prophet."

Elijah found Elisha in the field.  He had twelve yoke of oxen pulling his plow.  When Elijah got close to Elisha, he took his own colak and threw it over Elisha's shoulders.

Elisha bowed his head.  He loved Elijah and was honored to take his place.  "I don't feel worthy," he whispered.  With the prophet's cloak around his shoulders, he left his plow and followed Elijah to become a prophet.

One day after Elijah had gone to Heaven, Elisha went to Shunem.  While he was there he met a rich man and woman.  "Come, eat with us," they invited.

Elisha went to their home.  "Thank you," he said after eating the delicious fruits and other good food.  "The meal was so good."

"Come anytime," the couple urged.  "We have an extra room just for you."

They gave Elisha his own room on the cool roof.  The room had a bed, a stool, a table, and a lamp.  It was a special place for Elisha to rest.

"This Shunemite couple is so loving," said Elisha.  "I wish I knew what I could do to show my love for them."

"I know," a friend told Elisha.  "This lady would like to have a son."

Elisha told the woman, "You shall have a son."  God gave them a son.

What a joy the son was to the Shunemite woman.  She and her husband loved a prophet of God.  In return, Elisha was loving to them.  They were God's children.

(based on 2 Kings 4:8-17)

Do you think being loving encourages others to show love to you?  How can you show love to those who have shown love to you?

I understand where this story was going with the preschool children, but I thought for myself, do I show love to those who do NOT show love to me?  That is so much harder.  John 3:16 tells me that God loves the world.  He loves the world so much that He sent His Son into the world to die for us.  So this gives me a hint that we should love everyone, even if they are not loveable.  So very hard to do!  I'm not there yet, but I hope I am a work in progress.

Have a wonderful day.  The next two days are my annual trek to Lancaster for my Sisters Get-Away.  So I will not be around for a few days, but I will for sure be taking pictures to show you what we got up to.  See you all later.


Kathy



9 comments:

  1. Have you ever tried the Rx Celebrex, Kathy? I just started taking it on an as-needed basis & it works miracles. I "need it" everyday as I feel just about crippled without it... but I only take it when being crippled would interfere with my life too much. My doctor gave it to me so I can take it when I have a wedding to go to or a family reunion to go to or when the grandchildren are here for a week or two during their school breaks, etc. I wish I could take it everyday but it's fairly hard on my stomach so I only take it when I don't want to limp or walk hunched-over or be in such horrible pain. Think about trying it if you want to. Also, being as thin as you can possibly be helps a LOT with knee & back pain. I'm going to be 65yo next month and weigh what I did when I was in my 20s now. I try to help myself, with things that are within my power that I can do, so that when I go to the doctor I can say that I've done all I can do. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you have so many health problems. Life is not easy. I can't take Celebrex because it interferes with my heart medicine. I'm glad it works so well for you. I am not at the point physically that you are, but may be someday. If I were the weight I was in my 20s, I would weigh 70 lbs. I was a skinny mini. So glad you are taking care of yourself.

      Delete
  2. It is hard to love when our love is not returned. But we do our best to be Jesus hands and feet. You are making an impact in those young lives!
    Glad you could just sleep. Hope you have enough time in Lancaster to pace yourself so you aren't in pain. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe we are going to do a Bible Study on Elijah this fall. I'm looking forward to it. Sure hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One way love can be very hard. I think we are all a work in progress.So sorry to hear you were in such pain.Glad there was a place for you to sit. Napping is so underrated! It was on the news that a 90 minute nap refreshes better than a cup of coffee! feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these stories from the Bible that you teach your little class. I am wondering if you rewrite the stories in a simplified version to tell your class. Good reminder that we do need to love others who are not so lovable. Will look forward to hearing about your "sister time."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that your legs and back are bothering you so. Mine do too, but I have a seat on my walker and it helps when I am out. I can sit down when my body aches. Have you looked into a rollator (walker)? It might be helpful. Enjoy your time with your sister. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the story you shared with children at church. Phil and I helped at children's church this Sunday. The story was about thankfulness. Have a good time with your sister and pray that you feel better soon. No fun to have pain in your body. Been there, done that. Still have stiff neck muscles but I do exercises for my neck and legs. I apply Deep Relief esssential oils in a roller ball on my neck that makes it feel better. Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you're having so much pain. I hope it gets better so you can enjoy your sister time! Your lesson was good and I bet those little ones enjoyed it. I teach 11-13 yr old Sunday school and have all boys! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.