Saturday, July 31, 2021

SISTERS GET-AWAY TO LANCASTER COUNTY -- DAY ONE


 

Hello, friends!  I'm back from my couple of days away with my sister for her birthday.  Our past Sisters Week has gone into 1 1/2 days this year.  And what a time we had!

Elaine drove two hours from her house to mine.  We expected to leave right away, but things kept holding us back.  It was about 45 minutes before we actually got on the road.

I always love driving through Center City.  I truly am a city girl and love looking at all of the tall buildings and seeing the people.  I don't even mind lots of traffic.  OK, I may seem crazy, but I promise you I'm not.  It's not for everyone, but a lot of people like the city.  It all seems so energizing to me and always has.  I loved it when I worked in Center City and could be a part of that great mass of people.  Since Elaine was driving, I was able to get some pictures of the skyline from the car.



And here is the statue of William Penn on top of City Hall.  The story of the statue is interesting and I must tell it to you sometime.



We were moving along pretty well and making good time until we got to Gladwyn on I-76.  Then the traffic slowed.  But as Elaine said, at least we were moving.  It got slower and slower until it finally stopped.  Then we saw a State Trooper police car go past us.  It was followed by an ambulance.  Then a fire truck.  After about 15 minutes there was another State Trooper and ambulance go by.  We sat there for a little over an hour.  We watched birds.  We looked at trees.  I even took a couple of pictures of the scenery next to the highway.



As I was downloading these pictures I wondered why everything had a blue tinge to it.  Then I realized that the car windows were probably tinted.  I should have rolled down the window to take the pictures.  The highway was created by going through some hills.  (Not tall enough to be called mountains.) When it was built, they blasted through the rock.  It made for some interesting scenery.

It was very, very hot so Elaine left the car running to have the air conditioning on.  At least she had an almost full tank of gas.

Finally a truck with a loud speaker came through on the side of the road.  The driver said, "Y'all get ready to move now."  We were sooo happy to hear that!

There had been a six car accident and some people had to be cut out of their cars.  By the time we got to the Conhohocken exit where it happened the only thing on the road was one wheel well piece.  Those people were good cleaning everything up so quickly.

We were so happy to be moving again.  But we took the time to thank God that we didn't leave when we wanted to because we could have been the ones in that accident!  The rest of the trip was uneventful and before we knew it we were seeing cornfields and farmland.  We were in Lancaster County!  Our favorite place in the world.



We were both hungry and needed to use the restroom.  It was still a little ways to get to the hotel, so we decided to stop and get something to eat.  It was about 4:00 p.m. by now.  So much for that day.  We stopped to eat at Dienner's.  I have been there twice before and I wasn't impressed although lots of people love it.  Elaine had never been there.  It's hard to find a place where we haven't been.  We have been going to Lancaster for her birthday for over 30 years now.


I saw the special of the day was ham loaf.  I love ham loaf, so I got that along with mashed potatoes with gravy and green beans.  They gave me a roll too.  I had lemonade to drink.  I haven't had lemonade all summer and it was good.  Elaine got the smorgasbord.  She started with a salad and then got the ham loaf and loads of veggies.  She got sweet tea.




I was pleasantly surprised by how good everything was.  What happened from the last time I was there?  Now I will definitely be going back.  Yum!  I'm so glad we stopped there.

When we were finished, we went on to the hotel.  We stayed at LaQuinta in Ronks.  It was a nice room but the beds were so high.  It honestly was as high as my hips and very hard to get into.

We thought about going out shopping, but I was just too tired.  And my legs were hurting.  So we ended up watching some TV and going to bed.  I know we didn't do much on day one, but we made up for it on day two.  I'll tell you about that either tomorrow or Monday.  Probably Monday because I want to do my Sunday Praise actually on Sunday!

If you want to see a video of our get away and a video of what I bought, visit my YouTube page.  It's Kathy's Happy Home. 

See you all later.  I'm hungry and going to go get some breakfast.


Kathy







10 comments:

  1. My secret for getting into high beds is going in face first. 😵‍💫 I had an outing with my sister last week so I am happy to compare. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so fun. I did watch your youtube as well. I am so glad you could get away for a while with your sister. My sisters both live out of state so we never see each other. :-( Will look forward to you Day 2 post. Looks like you had a really great time. You and Joe have a good weekend. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I know of accidents like that, I always pause & say a prayer for those involved. I hope the people who had to be cut-out of the cars are well on their way to recovery. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Good for you! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me miss my sister! I'll be seeing her next week. Your trip will be so fun and I'll look forward to the updates. I'm glad you were feeling good enough to go!





    ReplyDelete
  5. Sister time is so special! It doesn't even matter that you did not do lots of things on your first day . . . the best part is time together doing things that you both love. I know that you and Elaine look forward to this getaway every year. So thankful that you were not in the accident!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would need a boost to get in that bed! lol I don't think I've ever had ham loaf but it looked delicious! Sounds like a good day & can't wait to read Day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love your sister trips! I feel like I could be there having fun with both of you. I would fit right in! lol Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The most fun of Sister time is just being together. I'm so glad you enjoyed your time away. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy for you and your sister had this time away. Oh my, am I ever glad you were delayed at the start of your trip. Stand still traffic is not fun but so much better than to be the reason for it! Can't wait to hear more about what you did. Happy Sunday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sad to read about the accident that happened but thankful they were taken care of and hopefully they will be healed soon. Glad you and your sister weren't in the accident. Always something fun to see when travelling. We are looking forward to Alaska very soon. A small glacier quest cruise one day on Prince William Sound. Have a blessed week and hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.