Friday, March 20, 2020

ARE YOU READY FOR DINNER? -- IRISH STEW



Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a good day.

Are any of you getting rude comments on your blog?  I had one yesterday from an anonymous person.  Of course they wouldn't want to put their name on it because it was awful.  I won't even repeat the terrible things this person wished on all of us baby boomers.  And if you happened to see it, I am sorry.  I took it off as soon as I noticed it, but it was put back on an hour later.  I removed it the second time and have been watching my comments closely ever since.  If it keeps happening I will monitor my comments, but I hate to do that.

In any case, it's a beautiful day today.  The sun is shining, the temperatures are in the 70s, and I am going to share a recipe with you.  This is the recipe for my famous Irish stew.  At least it is famous with my family and friends.  It is a good stew.  I got it out of the newspaper when I was about 17 years old.  They printed it on St. Patrick's Day along with a recipe for Irish Soda Bread.  I made the bread for many years but have since lost the recipe.  I copied them down in a recipe book since after lots of years of use the newspaper crumbled.  When I moved 40 years ago, I lost the book.  But I had shared the recipe for the stew with my sister and she shared it back to me.  So here is the Irish stew recipe for you.

KATHY'S FAMOUS IRISH STEW

1 1/2 lbs. lean boneless lamb or beef, cut into 1/2 inch cubes OR ground beef shaped into mini-meatballs
1 1/2 cups water
1  8oz. can stewed tomatoes
1 1/2 cups sliced onions
1/2 cup celery & leaves
1/4 cup parsley
1 large clove garlic, crushed
1 beef bouillon cube
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. pepper
6 carrots, sliced
8 small potatoes, peeled & diced
1 tsp. cornstarch

Combine lamb, water, tomatoes, onion, celery, parsley, garlic, bouillon cube, salt, thyme, & pepper in a Dutch oven.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.  Cover & cook slowly for 1 1/2 hours.  Add carrots & potatoes.  Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low.  Cover & cook 30 minutes.  Blend 2 tablespoons of broth into cornstarch.  Pour into remaining broth mixture.  Cover & cook 5 minutes more until stew is thickened.



Hope you give it a try and enjoy it.

Stay safe,
Kathy


8 comments:

  1. I moderate all of my comments. This stew looks good. I think I will give it a try. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were you, you might moderate. I read the blogs and comment...prayers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read you daily, I pray for your health too..Maybe the person or persons who e-mailed you is mentally ill and this situation we are having is making them feel even worse? just a thought..I love your blog, I think your recipes and your outlook is amazing..I am having kidney issues, bad ones and I just cannot be bothered by cruel people who write anonymous comments whatsoever..For what you have been thru health wise you are remarkably upbeat..I applaud you and your faith I really admire your faith..Keep smiling, enjoy your sweet hubs and your faith and the lovely sunshine..Keep up the wonderful recipes and your blog, peace, love and joy and prayers too from mjs from Washington state..!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I so appreciate your prayers and will be praying for you too. I figure I can be upset and miserable or enjoy life and be happy. It isn't hard to be happy.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I understand that “the thing” now is to taunt the older generation by responding to anything they have to say with a “Is that so, Boomer” or any variation. It’s too bad that the younger set have become so disrespectful, but we know that this will happen because Scripture tells us so. I’m just sorry that you’ve had to deal with it. I always take the time to report such stuff as spam and let Blogger deal with them.

    Thank you for not resorting to moderation. I understand, but I hate moderated comments. Nevertheless, if you must, you must. (I moderate all comments on older posts and after a few days.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. I will be dealing with some of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I moderate all comments and will continue to do so....guess I fail to understand why it's irritating to others. So sorry you have been harassed. Like we all aren't currently facing enough =( I love your blog and am so glad we actually had a chance to meet in person! Looking forward to the next time...and there WILL be a next time!
    The stew looks amazing....thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m so sorry some one was unkind to you in your comments. I enjoy all your postings and look forward to them. Because I am technology challenged I don’t seem to be able to leave a comment on your blog. That’s why I have to email you. I just wanted to be one more voice telling you how much you are appreciated.

    Keep up the encouragement you and Joe give us through your blog.

    Mary in Idaho

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.