Friday, August 30, 2019

THE NEW JOB AND SAYING GOODBYE -- FOR NOW


Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a lovely Labor Day weekend.  I'm not planning much of anything.  I actually have the weekend off, so that's good.

I know you are wondering how I am making out at my new job.  The first day there was one phone call and filing that took me all of 15 minutes.  That was it.  I thought, "What in the world am I going to do with myself for 2 hours?"  What I did was open my laptop which I had brought with me, connect it to the church's internet, and took out my lesson plan book.  I spent the rest of the time typing out my Sunday School lesson and looking through the internet for copyright free illustrations, coloring pages and puzzles.  I was almost finished when I ran out of power.

The second day was a little busier because of the funeral we were having today.  There were three phone calls, I had to make two phone calls, and I finished my Sunday School lesson and started on my lesson for the Ladies Bible Study I teach.  I got about a third of that done.

When I got home I typed up the hymns for the funeral today, printed them out, and called Pastor to touch base with him.

I love what I am doing.  What I discovered, though, is why I retired in the first place.  I am very, very tired after 2 hours.  My back and legs hurt -- my legs even swell.  I go home and sleep.  Nothing is getting done around the house because I am either out or sleeping.  The only thing I've done is dishes and making dinner.

So...  I talked to Pastor and told him I could do this only Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  I cannot run to the Nursing Home on Monday, teach on Tuesday, and still put in two hours.  I want to, but I just can't.  My body is telling me I am no longer 24.  He agreed to the arrangement.  I am relieving him from doing so much that he would have to do himself when he got home from his teaching job each day.  I figure I am at the church anyway on Monday and Tuesday so I would just check the messages on the phone to make sure it wasn't anything important and leave "While You Were Out" messages on his desk.  If it is important, I will text him so he gets it.  So we will see how this works out.

As I mentioned, there was a funeral today.  My dear friend Joan was laid to rest.  Pastor had the funeral with Joe and Joan's nephew Bill reading scripture.  Bill and one of her nieces gave the eulogy (although Bill's was more like a sermon -- wonderful!).  We went to the cemetary, but it was hard walking and I stayed in the car.  I took a couple of pictures from the front seat.


It was a beautiful funeral as she well deserved.  And we know it is not goodbye, but see you later.

Kathy W was riding with us.  We were the third car.  I have never been that far up in a funeral procession.  There was the lead car from the funeral director, the pastor's car, and then us because Joe is an Elder.  The hearse was right behind us.  So, of course, we were one of the first to leave.  The three of us decided to go out for lunch and ended up at the Suburban Diner.  I haven't been there in awhile and Kathy had never been there.  Joe and Kathy each got a corned beef sandwich and the salad bar.  I got a turkey burger and fries.  It was good but they gave us so much we took food home with us.

We took Kathy home and then came home ourselves.  A few hours later I took Joe over to church where he and Rick went out witnessing to people in the park.  If you are a pray-er, please pray for their outreach.  They are so dedicated to meeting people and meeting their needs as well as presenting the Gospel to them.

And now we are both home and very tired.  It is just about time for bed.  When I open my eyes tomorrow it will be the last day of August.  I still haven't quite figured out how that happened so quickly.  Hope you all have a good night.

Kathy







8 comments:

  1. Your plan sounds like a good one. You may even have to tweak it again, but you will figure it all out because only you and God know what you can do. Saying goodbye is never easy even though it is temporary. Yes, happy to pray for those who are brave enough to publicly witness for The Lord. I can’t think of much more important work. Praying that you feel better, Kathy. No fun playing whack a mole with the health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand about knowing how much we can do, now that we aren't kids anymore. It sounds like you have a good compromise plan for your job. Bless the people who are out witnessing, I hope people will be led to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a wise woman and it's best you made that decision now instead of later.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is wise of you to see your limitations & tweak them to (hopefully!) your benefit. I will pray for the Outreach,especially for encouragement. It's so easy to feel depressed. Love the cartoon at the end. I feel like that at the end of most months. Like where did it go? Over already? Time passes so quickly...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. Good for you to realize you can not over tax yourself, no matter how much you want to help others. I too can not believe that August has flown by. I feel I did not truly get to enjoy my summertime. I only had one family gathering to attend. Only saw my sisters about three times. I miss my life.
    Blessings to you and Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss too. It really gives you a chance to remember everything over the years. Take care. It's interesting about your job! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad the job worked out, changing days. so sorry about your friend. happy holiday weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have I been really gone that long! You have a JOB! I went back to catch up with you.You have been busy. Still taking in great "grocery hauls". Still wanting Summer not to end but a JOB!!!! That is news! Glad to know that you will be taking care of yourself by cutting down on the hours.
    Yes, Summer zipped by! Don't blink, it will be January!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.