Saturday, December 15, 2018

BLOGMAS DAY 13 -- WHAT I'M READING: THE YEAR OF JANIE'S DIARY (2018/9)


Hello, friends!  Welcome to my blog.  Can you believe it is just 10 days until Christmas?

Yesterday Joe and I went to Shoprite and I spent way more than I expected to.  But I got for the rest of the month. The only thing I will have to pick up is bread, lunchmeat, eggs, etc.  It is good to know I won't have to go back for the rest of the month.

It was a long time in the store and an even longer time to put things away.  My feet and legs were so swollen by the time I got everything finished.  So again, nothing got done.  I am feeling pretty good today so hopefully I will finish up all that I am going to do.

Today I want to tell you about the latest book I read.  I can't believe that the last book I finished was in August.  I guess I've just been reading a lot of magazines instead.  But my sister loaned me "The Year of Janie's Diary."  When I was in high school I must have read this book 6 times.  It was in the school library and I took it out over and over because I loved it so much.  Can you believe that when I read it now I had forgotten most of the story?  Well, I guess after 47 years it's OK that my memory of it isn't that great.  Have any of you read it?

Image result for the year of janie's diary

ABOUT THE BOOK:
Meet Janie Rawlings!  Janie is a livewire up-to-the-minute fourteen year old with zing!  Here is the story of an all-important crucial year in Janie's life.

When Janie begins the diary she's overweight and feels unattractive. She is often at odds with herself or the people around her.  It is evident to everyone except Janie that she is trying to find herself.  She is in a crucial period of her life, that subtle turning point when she passes into the first stages of young womanhood.

By sheer will power and perseverance Janie, little by little, conquers her weight problems.  She does her hair differently, dresses with more style and dash.  All these efforts of Janie's are directed toward one goal -- Greg Wells, the new blond boy down the street.

There are crises for Janie -- near drowning when surfing, a bad automobile accident when a wild group persuade her to go dancing to the music of the Cool Cats, a popular combo, and her hilarious attempt to make a sophisticated entrance at a dinner party her parents give.

Janie is able to grow in wisdom as the year progresses.  She and her father, always fast friends, have a unique understanding.  Her mother tells her of the physical changes that she is undergoing and says that someday she, too, will have a daughter not unlike herself and will be playing the role her mother is now.  Sue, her sister, always in complete command of any situation turns to Janie for strength during an affair of the heart, and even Tommy, her younger brother, realizes what a special person Janie Rawlings really is.

Janie is full of sparkle, energy and ideas.  She is never dull, is always on the move, learning something new daily.  Her teachers never tell her,  but they feel Janie is a terrific girl.  Her parents go through one excitement after another with her -- they never know what is coming next -- but they feel the same way.  Greg Wells, the all important boy in her life, eventually finds the key to unlock Janie's heart.

No one who meets her will ever forget Janie Rawlings.  Janie, in spite of all her doubts about herself, has everything.  She wouldn't think of herself as the all American girl, but she is.  You'll love her!

**********
After reading this again, I love it as much as I did the first time I picked it up.  It took me back to 1967 when it first came out.  Life was so much simpler then although it didn't seem that way to me.  The world was a lot simpler too.

This is such a rare book that I have seen it go for as much as $1,200.  No, my sister did not spend that much.  She got a really good deal on it.  But you know I am taking very good care of it until I give it back to her on Christmas.  It is wrapped up in a plastic bag and put in a safe place.  I could never afford to replace it if anything happened to it.

So now I am going to get myself together to begin the day.  I have no where to go today so hopefully I can make a huge dent in the cleaning and decorating.  And bake a lot for the Christmas Café tomorrow night.  It will be so much fun and you know I will take you along for it.

Have a wonderful day, everyone, and I will see you tomorrow.

Kathy



11 comments:

  1. Love the opening picture! The book sounds really great. I remember those days when everything seemed simpler....thanks for sharing! See you at the Cafe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope eveything goes well for you today and you feel good enough to go to the Christmas Cafe. I am not familiar with the book, but glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good book to read again. I like to read old books and most of the time, they don't I don't remember them...they just seem familiar! heehee! Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete

  4. That book really does sound interesting. Too bad that no one ever told Janie what a great gal she was. Now Janie is in her sixties? Time for an update on her life. (And, yes, I know that she is a fictional character. ☺️) Glad that you are getting things accomplished. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She really was told she was great through the entire book, even when she was overweight. She is like any teenaged girl -- wanting to fit in with the crowd. And remember these are 1960s values, not today. So much has changed.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like an amazing book! Wish I could read it, but it's no where near my budget! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know that book but how nice to have that memory and the fun you had reading it again! Take care and don't over-do!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of that book but how nice you had a chance at it again! I read and reread many books as a teen. Still reread books, actually.
    Hope your day is as productive as you wish. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I confess to not reading this book, but on your review I feel compelled to indulge.
    We seem to spend more time in the grocery store than any other, I could feed an army if called upon 😁
    Christmas is almost here, it's such a busy time especially for us ladies...
    Hope you have a lovely weekend.
    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  9. May the Christmas season fill your home with joy, your heart with love and your life with laughter.
    Ryoma.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just seeing this while googleing "the year of Janie's diary" and believe we must be kindred spirits! I too read this book from our school library many times, and was looking for a copy that my granddaughter could read. I retired in December from our local public library after 25+ years. Now I don't know how I ever had time to work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.