Monday, June 2, 2014

MOVIE MONDAY -- PHILOMENA



Based on the 2009 investigative book by BBC correspondent Martin Sixsmith, The Lost Child of Philomena Lee, PHILOMENA focuses on the efforts of Philomena Lee, mother to a boy conceived out of wedlock - something her Irish-Catholic community didn't have the highest opinion of - and given away for adoption in the United States. In following church doctrine, she was forced to sign a contract that wouldn't allow for any sort of inquiry into the son's whereabouts. After starting a family years later in England and, for the most part, moving on with her life, Lee meets Sixsmith, a BBC reporter with whom she decides to discover her long-lost son.

Release Date:  November 22, 2013 (USA)

Cast:
Judy Dench ........................ Philomena Lee
Steve Coogan ..................... Martin Sixsmith
Sophie Kennedy Clark ......... Philomena Lee
Anna Maxwell Martin .......... Jane
Mare Winningham .............. Mary
Michelle Fairley .................. Sally Mitchell
Simone Lahbib .................... Kate Sixsmith
-----------------------------------------------------
 Have you seen this movie?  If not, please do.  It is positively the best movie ever.  It was so good that I watched it twice before I returned it to the library -- something I NEVER do.

I am a huge Judy Dench fan.  Is there anything she has done that isn't good?  But she exceeded all of my expectations in this film.  And Sophie Kennedy Clark is equally as good.

This is set in a different time and place.  If I didn't know it was a true story, I wouldn't have believed it had happened.  The idea of punishment for sin and no forgiveness is haunting.  I felt so sorry for Philomena.  But that was the mindset in this time.

The cover of the DVD has a quote from Rex Reed who says it is the most powerful movie of the year.  I agree.  Do yourself a favor and see this film.

Kathy

5 comments:

  1. Kathy, you mean you can rent this movie from the library?
    We have Netflix at home I wonder if they have it out.
    I would love to see this movie sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I rent all my movies from the library. We get them as soon as they come out on DVD and they are free! Lots of kids movies too like Baby Einstein.

      Delete
  2. Kathy, I have been wanting to see this movie...I just never go to the theater...maybe once every two years. I wait for thing to come out on dvd. Glad you enjoyed it. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never go to the theater. Can't remember the last time I did. I just wait and watch them in the comfort of my own home.

      Delete
  3. What a timely post, Kathy, as I just borrowed this film from our local library and look forward to watching it over the weekend. I also borrow movies from our local library, which is small, and doesn't have the largest collection. I would also recommend The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel if you haven't already seen it and Quartet. We do not have a movie theatre nearby and so all our movie viewing is by library movies or a Netflix subscription.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.