Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A IS FOR AVOCADO (AND APPLES)



We had a nutritionist come in to do a program at work last Wednesday.   We weren't busy so I was able to attend.  It was called "Cooking Through the Alphabet" and I wasn't really sure what to expect.  But I was so very glad I went.  Not only was it really informative, it was fun!

Stephanie, from the Shop Rite where I buy my groceries, showed us how to read labels, explained about the different types of fats, fibers, calories, carbohydrates and then asked who liked avocados.  None of us knew what they tasted like, so she made some guacamole and gave it to us with some whole grain tortilla chips.  It was very good!  One lady said the only time she had even seen an avocado was when she was getting an avocado facial mask.  She said the next time she had one she would stick out her tongue and lick her lips.  Ha, ha!




Here is the recipe Stephanie gave us:

Easy Guacamole
Ingredients:
1 1/2  tablespoon coarsely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 garlic clove
1/2 small jalapeno pepper
1 ripe peeled avocado
1 tablespoon cilantro leaves (optional)

Directions:
Place first 5 ingredients in food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
Add avocado and process until smooth.
Top with cilantro, if desired.
---------------------------------------------------------
A was also for apples and Stephanie did another great recipe using apples.



Apple Pie Graham Crackers
Ingredients:
2 sheets graham crackers (she used honey graham)
1/4 cup light cream cheese
1/2 cup diced apples in 100% juice, drained (Dole makes these)
2 teaspoons cinnamon

Directions:
Add cinnamon to drained apples and mix.

Break each sheet of graham cracker in half and spread with 1 tablespoon cream cheese on each piece.  Top with apples and enjoy!

What easy recipes and so healthy as well as so yummy.  You know I'm going to be trying them soon.

Kathy

3 comments:

  1. Oh My! You surprised me!
    You haven never tasted an avocado!! The avocado is a perfect food ,very nutritious.

    Now those Apple Pie Graham Cracker goodies... I know some little people who would love those. Even some big people!
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Kathy, You never tasted an avocado?
    that is so hard to believe.
    We have avocado trees everywhere down here.
    I make guacamole at least 3 times a week they are good with a Margarita..
    and chips I can eat the whole bowl.
    we also use them with tacos, with pico de gallo, with tamales.. oh I can go on...
    they are so yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to snatch that tray of apple goodies! Looks delicious! I do not care for
    guacamole nor avocado.Just not my thing....It is interesting how quick & easy some things are
    make. Anybody besides me waiting for what the "B" brings?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.