Saturday, February 8, 2014

DOWN ON THE FARM

6 days to Valentine's Day
I had some energy today so I got Joe up (no sleeping in for him today) and we went errand running.  I have to do it when I am feeling good these days.  So much of the time I just lay around and fall asleep because I've been so sick.

I found out that the farmstand was open so we started out at Greensgrow Farm.

It was so good to get back there.  I miss the fresh organic veggies.

And I did good too.

Purple sweet potatoes, red onion, turnips and a carnival acorn squash
I have never seen purple sweet potatoes nor a carnival acorn squash before.  I'm anxious to use them and see how they taste.  That's one thing about the farmstand.  You always see something new there.

Joe loves the Copa Soaps.  They are expensive, but they are handmade and last forever so I guess they are worth it.  We didn't get any today because we didn't have the money, but next time.  His favorite scent is the spice.

I'm not much of a honey eater, but Joe is.  He loves Honey from the Hood.  Greensgrow has its own bee hives and produces different kinds of honey -- blueberry, clover, etc.
I wondered why they still had Christmas ornaments for sale, but was told that a lot of people hang them in their windows like suncatchers.  Nice idea.

We stopped at Wawa on the way home to get hoagies for lunch.  There was a little girl outside selling Girl Scout cookies, so I bought a box off of her.  I love the shortbread.  They are my favorite.

Debbie also has a box waiting for me at her house.  I have to get over there and pick them up.  Then I am all set for awhile.  I will have to stop myself from sitting down and eating a whole box at once.  I absolutely LOVE them.  (You know I really won't eat a whole box at once.  I would be very sick and then I wouldn't like them anymore. *wink*)

I took Joe to the barber to get a haircut on the way home.  He really needed it.  He was getting rather "shaggy".

We also stopped at the library to get some photocopies and pick up a box I was saving at my desk and Rite Aid to get a few things.  So by the time I got home I was exhausted.  I've just been laying around watching TV ever since.

Did anyone watch the opening ceremony of the Olympics last night?  I recorded it and watched it this morning.  I thought it was one of the best, if not THE best, that I have ever seen.  I usually get bored with them, but watched this one all the way through.  I am anxious to see the figure skating which is my favorite part although I like the speed skating, skiing and luge also.

I'm going to go get something for dinner.  I never got the chicken soup made, so I think that will be for tomorrow.  I'll look through the pantry and see what is easy.  Until later...
-----------------------------------------
Saturday's weather:
Cloudy/snow showers
High:  30 degrees
Low:  20 degrees
Sunrise:  7:02 a.m.
Sunset:  5:28 p.m.
Of course I was home today but it was too cloudy to see a sunset.  No picture.  *sigh* 




5 comments:

  1. Local honey is great for allergies, Kathy, i like a bit of honey in my tea, so good! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Farm pictur sed it as a side dish & Russ loved them! It's great when I can add something new & not the same old same old.
    Yes, I still have your cookies. I thought with the weather being what it's been,you wouldn't want to drive more than
    you had to. Consider them safe.
    gotta go for now. Lottsa love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, I really like your photos of the farm market. You got some nice things to try. Honey is good in tea. Take care and be careful out on the roads. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the photos -- I got them from the farm's website. You be careful on the roads. We have almost nothing here now and all the streets are clear. It's just those potholes everywhere!

      Delete
  4. So glad you had a good day out---ours was yesterday---first time I've been out of the house since two Sundays ago. Ours was just lunch, and then brunch today upstairs with Caro in her sunny sitting room just cheered up the whole house. We usually sit for several hours, catching up on our week.

    Hope you're all energetic and able to get out again soon---we're still surrounded in snow, and more predicted tomorrow, but hope it will soon be over.

    Have a sunny, warm week!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.