Monday, May 27, 2013

MEMORIAL DAY -- Warning: Lots of Pictures

It's Memorial Day.  A day to remember our fallen heroes.

As I mentioned in my last post I didn't wake up this morning until 10:30 a.m.  Well, I did wake up at 5:30, 6:45 and 7:30 but looked at the clock, said "I have to get up" and promptly fell asleep again.  What woke me up was the sound of the parade coming through our wide open windows.  (It was beautiful sleeping weather!)  I got up and watched the beginning of it out of the window.  But all I could see was the backs of people as they passed.  So I got dressed and told Joe I was going to the parade.  He opted to watch it from the bed.  Here are some of the highlights.

What's a parade without the Mummers?

Of course the VFW post was there.

"Betsy Ross"

Irish Thunder from Montgomery County

Abraham Lincoln High School ROTC

The boy scouts

The flag bearers of one of several high school marching bands

The Civil War rein-actors



The TD Bank mascot

World War I rein-actors

Giving a tribute to the Viet Nam war veterans

More ROTC
The Bridesburg Outboard Motor Club

Another high school band


Antique cars.  I missed most of them, but glad I got to see some.

The Viet Nam Veterans across from my house have erected a war monument to those who did not come home.  It's very touching.



The front of the building with flags of each service.
The decorations were nice too.
My friend Andrea's house was really decked out.

Even Joe was decorated -- wearing his Marine Corps shirt.

My flower pot beside my front door.

The red, white and blue star in my window.  New this year.

My whole house looking very patriotic.
 During the afternoon the veterans had another memorial service.  I couldn't see it from downstairs, so took pictures through my bedroom window.



I ended my day with an ice cream cone.  I've been wanting one for about three weeks and finally got it.  (Don't look at my messed up hair!)


 It's back to work tomorrow.  I hope the day isn't too crazy.

4 comments:

  1. thanks for your coment on my blog. I am now following your blog. Love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a MEMORIAL Day!!! I can't BELIEVE you woke up to a PARADE!!!
    Great day and awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All this from the convenience of your own home (even bed). Now that is a perfect way to enjoy a parade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are SO wonderful & I'll be praying for your husband to be home with you SOON! ~Jean(Rome GA girl living in Calhoun LOVE YOUR GREAT WEBSITE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.