Wednesday, May 21, 2014

B IS FOR BLACK BEANS!





We had another program at work today from the dietitian Stephanie from Shop Rite (where I shop).  She is cooking through the alphabet.  Last time it was A is for avocado.  Today it was B is for black beans.  (You can go to my subject cloud at the bottom of the blog and click on Cooking through the Alphabet to see the other post).  Again it was a lot of fun as well as being informative.

Did you know another name for the black bean is the turtle bean?  I didn't.  I had never heard of turtle beans.

We learned that black beans naturally contain several essential vitamins and minerals:  fiber, folate, tryptophan, protein, manganese and iron.  I knew I liked black beans, but I had no idea they were so very good for me.

As usual Stephanie made a recipe for us.  She used applesauce instead of oil and egg whites instead of whole eggs to make it healthier.  They were so good!

BLACK BEAN BROWNIES

 

Ingredients:
3/4 cup canned black beans, no salt added
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce 
1/3 cup egg whites
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips, divided
1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 9x9-inch square baking pan.

2.  In a blender or food processor puree the beans with the applesauce.  Add the egg whites, cocoa, sugar, and vanilla.

3.  Melt half the chocolate chips and add to the blender.  Blend on medium-high until smooth.

4.  In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add to the blender and pulse until just incorporated.  Stir in the remaining chocolate chips.

5.  Pour into the prepared pan and bake until the surface looks somewhat matte around the edges and still a bit shiny in the middle, about 20 minutes.  Let cool at least 15 minutes before cutting and removing from the pan.

Try them.  You will really like them.  I promise.

8 comments:

  1. Thats pretty interesting ! Black bean brownies ! Ill try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bean brownie...I would have never guessed. Kathy, all those years that my family ate beans and cornbread..who knew. LOL. Hope you had a fun day at work. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have GOT to be kidding me, Kathy! WOW! I am saving this to try because no one will believe you can make black bean brownies. If I put some pecans and caramel in there would they be TURTLE brownies?;>) xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aye ya yae... Does it give you GAS?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not unless you eat a lot of them. But you would never know there are beans in there. It is very chocolatey.

      Delete
  5. I am going to try this recipe, Kathy. I have the beans in the pantry! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW-WEEEE!!!!!!
    Who knew you could make black beans into brownies? Well, Stephanie did!!
    Thank you for sharing this recipe and trying it first so we don't have to wonder, (reminds me of you doing movie reviews, lol).

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.