Tuesday, March 9, 2021

WHAT I'M READING: THE NANTUCKET INN by Pamela Kelley (2021/2)


 Hello, friends!  How is your day?  I had a rough night.  I was sound asleep when suddenly I woke up with a claw in my foot.  Jack was there in bed with me and I must have moved.  He thought I was playing and pounced.  Ouch!  Daddy Joe woke up and evicted him from the room.

I had to get up early today anyway and be on time at the doctor's office to get my first Covid shot.  They had that place down to a science.  There were three people assigned to every 15 minutes.  I was in the 9:00 group.  We went in and two people were sent to an office and I was told to stay in the waiting room.  Diane, the Medical Assistant, gave me my shot.  Barbara, the CNP, and Dr. Kimmel each gave a shot to another patient.  Then we sat there for 15 minutes.  As we were leaving another group of three were coming in.  We came in the front and left by the back door to keep things moving.  Now I go back on the 30th for my second shot.  So far I have had no side effects so that is good.

On Sunday Joe had to run to 7-11 before church.  When he came out, he had a beautiful bouquet of flowers for me.  He said it was a "just because" gift.  He's always so sweet to me.




Today I want to tell you about a book that I have just finished reading:  The Nantucket Inn by Pamela Kelley.



Amazon describes it this way:

Lisa Hodges needs to make a decision fast. Thanks to her dead husband's gambling addiction, their savings is almost gone. In her early fifties with a large, waterfront home on Nantucket to support, Lisa hasn't worked in over thirty years, has no in-demand skills and is virtually unemployable.

Her only options are to sell the house and move off-island, or, she could use her cooking and entertaining skills and turn her home into a bed and breakfast. She desperately needs it to succeed because she has four grown children with problems of their own and wants to stay close to them. 

Her oldest daughter, Kate, has a fabulous career in Boston--working as a writer for a popular fashion magazine and engaged to a dangerously handsome, photographer, who none of them have met.

Kate's twin, local artist, Kristen, has been reasonably content with her on-again off-again relationship with an older, separated businessman. 

Her son, Chase, runs his own construction business and is carefree, happily dating here and there but nothing serious. 

Youngest daughter, Abby, is happily married to her high school sweetheart, and they've been trying to have a baby. But it hasn't happened yet, and Abby wonders if it's a sign that maybe their marriage isn't as perfect as everyone thinks.

The only reason I bought this book was because it came up on my Kindle as a book I might like and it was only $3.99.  I thought I'd give it a try.  Well, I couldn't put the book down.  It was a quick read and I was reading it all the time.  It's what I call a bit of fluff.  Not a lot of your attention needs to go into this book.  But that was just what I needed.  And the characters are developed enough to keep your interest.  It has been a long time since I read a book so quickly.  I've already bought book 2 in this 6 book series.

I realize this book is not for everyone.  But if you want a quick and easy read with a good story, give it a try.

And now I am going to go get something to eat.  I don't know why I am so hungry today but I am.  Hmm...  maybe I'll do a "What's for Dinner?" post next.  I haven't done one of those in awhile either.

Have a good day everyone.  I'll have to go blog reading after I eat.

Until later...

Kathy









14 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy. I think I will look up that book. It looks like one I would like. I sure could use a good page-turner. Those flowers from Joe are beautiful. So glad you got the first shot. Also glad your side affects are not too bad. I think it is crazy but our state is removing its mask mandate on Aril 10, so I am glad my husband is getting his second shot on March 23. I have already had both shots. I'm off to Amazon to look for that book. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you got hurt by your cat again!! OUCH!!! I have been reading a new book and I still need to read more per week. I have a new Bible study to work on as well. I didn't do the pages that were to be done last week, but it's not too long of a session to read and write what my answers are. We won't have Bible study next week. It is every other week. I have quite a few books to read and still going to stop and get latest from Jane Kirkpatrick in Aurora as their gift shop is open at Aurora colony museum, not far from me. Hope you feel good through these next few days after your virus shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got your shot; I get my second one this Friday, and hoping it doesnt make me sick - it has some people. Your flowers were so pretty. The book sounds like a good one. Sleep good tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After my first shot I couldn't raise my left arm for 5 days! She gave the shot too high on my shoulder and hit the bursa. Hurt like heck! I get the second one on the 26th and if the same person is doing it I'm leaving! The book looks like one I would enjoy. Love the flowers..so sweet of Joe! Hope your dinner was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the same book for the same reasons and found it was a great weekend read. I just picked up the second in the series.
    The flowers are beautiful. He must think you're a keeper. He is too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to hear that you got your shot. And that it was so organized. I know what you mean about the book. Sometimes you need a little 'fluff'. I've been reading the Harlequin Inspired Suspense line. It's mystery but with Christian content.Good plots,characters but without the lust factor. Okay,most have been plots with K-9 officers,one with a bassett hound! A quick,easy read.
    The flowers are so pretty! Joe is so thoughtful....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kathy. Beautiful flowers from your hubby! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy, Joe bought you some beautiful flowers. I bet they really brighten your day whenever you see them. I'm glad you were able to get your first vaccine shot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What beautiful flowers. That book sounds interesting. Just curious, is she a christian author? Your last photo is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that book description makes me want to read the book. Kitties can be so naughty! What a beautiful sunset scene.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your flowers are beautiful. I'm glad you were able to get your first vaccine shot. I didn't have any problems with the shots and I hope you don't either. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everyone needs to read a bit of fluff now and then. After several serious books I almost always read one (or a couple) just to lighten things up. I've always called them junk food for the mind...satisfying but no nutritional value! lol I'm glad things went well with the vaccine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. prayers for Susie at She Junks lost her husband...of course Barbara and Terri lost their husbands...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.