Tuesday, November 24, 2020

MONDAY MAGAZINE ON A TUESDAY


 Hello, friends!  Sorry I didn't get to post yesterday.  I was just too tired.  I get those days where I just can't do anything.  I have to get over it because tomorrow is a super busy day.  

Please come back tomorrow.  Some of you have asked about my 4th great-grandmother's pumpkin pie recipe.  I plan on making it and taking photos along the way so I can show it to you.  My great-grandmother's great-grandmother made it in a fireplace in the town of Manayunk (now a neighborhood of Philly) back in the late 1700s.  Where did she get it from?  We don't know.  Did she make it up?  Did she get it from her mother?  Did she find it in a cookbook?  I did some research and pumpkin pie as we know it began to be made around 1796.  Before that it was  cut into slices like apples and flavored with spices that we would not use today.  A great website is found here.  In any case, it is an old recipe that was never written down until about 1968 when my sister sat down with my great-grandmother, asked her how to make certain things, and wrote it out.  I am so glad or some dishes would be lost forever.

But today I am going to show you another magazine.  This is an HGTV from October 2018.


This was a good issue with many interesting articles in it.  I will show you just a few. 

Of course, we always begin with the front door.


Would you like an orange door?  It's a little too bright for me.  I don't like the house numbers either.  But I do like the plant, the chair and the pillow.

I always enjoy looking at the High/Low List too.  It amazes me the people would pay the prices listed for some things.  For example, would you pay over $1,000 for a mirror?  Or an end table?

How about $280 for a pillow?  Sorry, but I'll take the similar one for $30.

And it would have to be a very special coffee cup for me to spend $100.

This article on mixing old and new items was interesting.  You really can make the two go together.

Each picture was labeled which items were old and which new.

This dining room was nice.

This guest bedroom looked so comfortable.

And so did the master bedroom.

Another part of HGTV magazine that I like is "Copy the Curb Appeal."  I like seeing all the houses.




And then there was the Laundry Room.  *sigh*  Someday I will have a laundry room and not just the washer and dryer in a corner of the basement.  These are all so pretty.




Lastly there was a recipe for Egg and Tater bake.  It looks good and I would definitely eat it, but I looked at the recipe and realized I would never make it.  So I did not save it.



So that is it for this week's magazine.  Now I can pass it on.  I've already read 1 1/2 more magazines that I will show you in the coming weeks.

I hope you all have a good evening.  Rest up for the marathon cooking in the next two days.  Before you know it, it will be time for Blogmas.  I'm trying to figure out what I want to show you this year.  Not as much of a variety as we are locked down tight until January 1.  But I'm sure I will find something.

Until later...

Kathy









6 comments:

  1. Orange door? Not for me. I like the plant & pillow. I agree with you. If I paid that much money for anything I think I;d be afraid to use it! There are houses I see from the outside that make me want to knock on the door & ask to see how the rooms are laid out. Is the alcove a sewing room? The turret a reading room? Make me curious.... Have a vey Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange door would not look good with my house. ha! It might be okay for Halloween night:) I too would love, love, love a laundry room on the main floor. That isn't going to happen with this house but in the future when I downsize and move, I will be sure the laundry is on the main floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cathy. We live in a condominium, so an orange door wouldn't fly here, with our HOA. THat egg and potato bake looked pretty good so I am will look up the recipe online. Hope you and Joe have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Always something to be grateful for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color orange, so an orange door might look rather nice. You have a Happy Thanksgiving, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, That last picture with the beautiful fall scene..love it!!!! I like pretty doors on homes, they make one feel welcomed. Hope your pie turns out great. Blessings to you and Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an HGTV magazine as well, but will probably discard it soon. I have been going through items in living room that i don't need any more. Some I still read and will not toss or donate. I do like magazines and older ones are nice to see again. Take care and hope you had a good thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.