Saturday, September 19, 2020

SWEET POTATO PUMPKIN SOUP

 

Hello, friends!  Hope you had a good day.  After all the work I have done the past few days, I decided to take the day off.  And keep off of my foot too.  My toe is still hurting and I am sure it will for a few days until the broken toe begins to mend.  Isn't it strange how a mistake that takes a second of time to make ends up being weeks healing.

Joe even called out for dinner tonight so that I didn't have to stand on my foot to make it.  I had a gyro sandwich and an iced tea.  It was good.

Last night I made the Sweet Potato Pumpkin Soup.  Although it wasn't as good as my pastor's version, it was good enough that we each had two bowls of it.  So I thought I would share the recipe with you.  

1.  Heat 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  I didn't have vegetable oil so I used olive oil.


2. Add 1 cup of chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes.


3. Add 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and cook for 1 minute.




4.  Stir in 2 cups of sweet potato, peeled and cubed.  I cut the pieces too large and had to cook it longer than the recipe called for.  Next time I will make large cubes, but not the huge pieces I did this time.  Also stir in 2 cups of low-sodium non-fat chicken broth or vegetable broth, 1 1/2 cups water and 1 15-ounce can of pumpkin.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft, stirring constantly.  (I did not stir constantly, but I stirred often.)




5. Stir in 1 cup nonfat or 1% milk.


6.  Ladle into bowls and top with 1/2 tablespoon low-fat sour cream.  I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, so I got this off of google.  Even though this picture does not have the sour cream on top, this is what it looked like.  (I am lactose intolerant so I used lactose free milk and did not use sour cream.)


7.  Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.

A nice fall soup that was very easy to make.  Pastor put his in a crockpot and cooked it for several hours which may be why his was better.  I think I will try it that way next time.

If you try this, please let me know if you like it.

And now it is off to bed so I can get up for church tomorrow morning.

Until later...

Kathy








10 comments:

  1. Hi Kathy, This recipe sounds so good. Thanks for sharing! See you again soon. Happy Sabbath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm...

    Love the picture at the end! It reminds me so much of where I grew up in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good Lord’s Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your blog so much. Perhaps a little history for those of us who have not read forever. How did you and your Joe meet? When? Where did you work? Have you always lived in PA?????

    ReplyDelete
  5. The soup looks yummy. Thank you for the recipe. I will be using whole lactaid free milk or worse...maybe some light cream as well. Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I would love that soup!! Soup is such a hit in our family especially when it gets cooler. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of sweet potato soup and may have to try it....if I do, will let you know and I think I will use the crock pot. Have a good Monday and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That soup sounds SO good! It would be perfect for this week. I hope you are feeling better today and healing. Take care and get some rest! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That soup looks good . . . and I am all about soups in the fall and winter! I think I'll use the crock pot too.

    Take care of that toe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The soup sounds and looks like one I would love but I don't think Jack would be too crazy about it. Squash isn't his fav unless it's in a sweet bread or cake form! (Or pie!) I hope your toe heals and feels better soon. Those take forever don't they to get better. Enjoy this last day of Summer.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.