Monday, May 25, 2020

WHAT I'M READING -- WHEN CALLS THE HEART (2020/2)


Good morning, friends.  Happy Memorial Day!  I hope you are all able to remember this special day in some way.  I am not sure exactly what is happening today but I will let you know.  I know there is no parade for the first time in 74 years.  It will seem so strange.  But I also heard there will be wreath laying ceremonies one of which is supposed to happen across the street at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Society.  If so, I will try to get pictures of that.  Joe is part of the VVMS.

I was all set to post this yesterday, but I fell asleep.  So better late than never.

The second book I finished was "When Calls the Heart" by Jeanette Oke.


You can see I read it on my Kindle.  I love the TV show by this name and so wanted to read the book.  I was surprised because it was completely different.  The only thing the same was the name of the main character and the fact that she was a school teacher in the Canadian west.  Oh, and that she met and married a Mountie.  Even his name was not the same.

Once I got over my surprise, though, I found I could not put the book down.  I read it in three days.  It was so good!

The blurb on the back reads:  Nothing in her cultured Eastern upbringing prepared Elizabeth for a teaching position in the Canadian West.  Despite the many hardships, she cares deeply for the schoolchildren, but she is determined not to open her heart to any of the local frontiersmen.  Then she meets a certain member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police...

I am not one to sit and read a romance book.  But this was different.  It was interesting to read about Elizabeth adjusting to the frontier after living a life of luxury in her parents' home.  The relationship between her and her brother's family was so sweet.  The idea of her getting to ride in an auto when most people were still using horse and wagon, and the long train rides she took to get from one place to another just brought you right into the time she was living.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  I had forgotten how much I like Janette Oke's writings.  I think I will have to pull some of her books off of my shelves and read them again.

I will be back with a Memorial Day report.  Maybe even later today!  Have a wonderful time today no matter what you do.


Kathy





9 comments:

  1. Happy Memorial Day to you and Joe! I do hope you can enjoy the holiday even though it is toned way down this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is sobering...no parade for the first time in 74 years. Same here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! A blessed Memorial Day to you. I know that you will honor it well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy. I have read at least one or two books by Janette Oke and enjoyed them. I think I have the book you reviewed downstairs on my "to read" shelf, so I will have to look and see. Thanks for the review. I hope you and Joe have a wonderful Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A Blessed day to you and Joe. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That book sounds good, Kathy. Like you- I am not one to read romance books--but sometimes the story outweighs the 'silly' part. lol
    No parades here or large gatherings in the cemeteries. It is an odd holiday in more ways than one. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love those Hallmark movies so I'm sure I would enjoy the books even more. Thanks for letting me know about them! Take care! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janette Oke books are good. I've read them years ago. I may have given them to church library as well...need more room in my big library for other things besides books. I did a quick trip thru peony gardens that are close today. So pretty!!! Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of this book before but the blurb sounds interesting. I'm not a romance novel person either but the text seems to be authentic and I like a certain element of history in books.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.