Wednesday, May 6, 2020

HUGE GROCERY HAUL


Hello, friends.  I am so sorry I have not been around to visit you lately.  I am so busy.  Every minute of the day is filled.  I am cleaning and creating, among other things.  It is cold here this morning.  Down in the 50*s (teens in Celcius).  What happened to our warm weather?  I am shivering!

Yesterday I picked up Donna and we went to Shoprite.  It was much emptier of people than last time and had more things on the shelves.  There were still some things I could not find, but then I found things that were not on my list.  Donna and I are shopping once a month now because of the difficulty in getting to a store.  So this is a huge haul I am going to show you.  I had trouble finding space for everything I bought.  Some things are living on the counter for right now.  But by the end of the month, things will have changed a lot.

So let me show you what I bought.

I found my low salt bacon.  It wasn't too expensive either.  I also got a ham steak.  They are good to have for a fast dinner.  The lamb chops are for Joe's birthday in a couple of weeks.  Joe loves lamb.  There was no lamb in the counter.  I asked the butcher if they had any and he cut some just for me.  They are a little smaller and much more expensive than I expected, but it's his birthday.



The frozen vegetables weren't on sale, but they weren't a bad price either.  I picked up six packages but when I got to the checkout, found I could buy only four.  The cashier was so nice and put two aside which I paid for separately so that I could get all six bags.  Here I got corn, broccoli, Asian stir fry and peas.



I got 1 1/2 pounds of North Atlantic salmon.  I asked for a pound, but when I saw the piece, I took the entire thing.  I asked the fishmonger to cut it in half so I will get two meals out of it.  I also got blueberries and strawberries.  Joe loves hot dogs, so I got a pound of them.  And I brought home sushi and dumplings for lunch.  They were good.  I got a small container of sour cream too.  I keep seeing recipes calling for a tablespoon of sour cream.  It is good to have in the house.



Here is some meat I got.  There were limits on what you could buy.  I got some boneless pork chops, a pound of ground beef, and a package of eight chicken thighs.  I broke them down into serving sizes and put them in freezer bags before putting them away.  It makes things so much easier when you pull out a package for dinner.



I didn't have tortellini on my shopping list, but got it when I saw it.  It is always good to have pasta in the house.  I got some lactose free milk.  We have regular milk in the house, but I can't drink that.  I got some matzah because Joe asked for it.  This big box was only 49 cents.  I also got some frozen French fries, two bags of Pierogies, margarine (we were almost out), breaded flounder fillets and two boxes of sausage.



I was looking for bread flour, but couldn't find it, so I got regular flour.  I've been doing a lot more cooking and know I can use it.  I also got some crackers for me.  We were almost out of instant mashed potatoes, so that went in my cart.  And a box of yellow cake mix.  I had chocolate, strawberry, angel food, lemon, but no yellow.  And that was the one I needed for an apple dump cake I am going to make.



I also got some white icing to go with the strawberry cake, a can of dry mustard, a can of bread crumbs because I was down to the last few tablespoons, a jar of relish (Joe had used up the last of the previous jar), eggs, and a bag of sourdough pretzels.  Joe and I love sourdough pretzels.



I got Purex Crystals for the laundry and dryer sheets.  I also got another can of air freshener for the bathroom.  I try to have one ahead so when it runs out, there's another refill to put into the machine.



I am making banana zucchini bread this week.  So some bananas and zucchini to eat and some to bake with.



I never make tacos.  We are not much on Tex-Mex food.  But I saw this package to make 12 tacos for only $2.99 and thought it would be a cheap meal.  I also got a bag of chocolate mini doughnuts, we needed mayonnaise, peanut butter, and lunch meat.  I got turkey and ham.  When I was going down one of the aisles I saw these cans of tomato sauce for 77 cents and grabbed them.  It never hurts to have some tomato sauce in the house.



I got some mushrooms to put with the zucchini when I cook it.  Joe likes pecan swirls for breakfast.  And here are the other two bags of frozen veggies the cashier was so nice to give me.  I got California blend and mixed vegetables.



We haven't had bagels in a long time, so I got a package of that.  We have cream cheese in the house.  I also got a loaf of bread.  Joe loves his sandwiches for lunch so we go through bread quickly.



I needed potatoes.  I was down to my last one.  When we came into the store, I saw an employee husking corn on the cob and putting it on the counter for sale.  They were six ears for $3.00.  I asked her if I could take some before she took the husk off and she said yes.  I do not like my corn husked.  I think it allows germs to get to the corn.  So I took six ears out of the cart she had next to her.  I think she was saying to herself, "Six less that I have to deal with."  It is the first corn of the season.  We had some last night.  They are the white and yellow hybrid and so sweet!  Delicious.



I also got a package of 12 rolls of toilet paper.  It was on one of the end caps.  We didn't really need it since we had 8 rolls, but I thought I would get it while I saw it.  Although I think things are getting better in that department.  I also got a case of water since we were entirely out of that.

Whew!  I told you it was a lot.  But I expect to not have to go back for at least three weeks.  Hopefully four.  Except for things like water, milk, margarine, bread, etc.  I spent just about my entire monthly budget but I think I did really well.

How are things at your supermarket?  Are you finding what you need?  I could not find lactose free cheese which is usually really easy to find.  There were a few other things too that were out.  But things are definitely getting better.

And now on to today.  Joe has to pick up his medicine at Target's CVS Pharmacy today so I might do a little shopping at the Bullseye Spot.  We'll see.

Talk to you later this week.

Kathy



13 comments:

  1. Glad you are back. Wow...tons of food. I am a vegetarian-now 30 years...and am thankful at this time-heard meat is scarce because of the processing plants...love your blog...day 54 inside for me-need to move my car soon. My family gets the food and drops off outside every other week for me...I don't get much just for me. Hope you are reading and enjoying your time isolating with your husband. prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could shop like that. There is something that disconnects my brain when I try to meal plan more than 7 - 10 days out. My shopping, which I never liked, has changed to something I enjoy. We have a farmers market, complete with butcher shop and amazing produce, that does not allow customers in the store. You pull in, hand them your shopping list and debit/credit card and they tell you to park and wait. I read, knit, chat on the phone with mom and then they bring out your groceries and put them in your trunk. Love it! The other way I shop is Instacart. They deliver the groceries to your door! I told my hubby I may never go to a grocery store again! Funny think, with all those services, my grocery bill has gone down significantly. I think it's because hubby isn't in the store, impulse buying!!!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did great on your grocery shopping. Next week, I'm going to get out for a it if the weather is good. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That house is darling! < swoon >

    Oh that's a nice haul. I am glad that you will not starve this month. It is always fun to see things in your groceries that I have in mine.

    I know that some things are still difficult to find because the kids don't come home with what I requested. I am learning to enjoy some new products this way. One thing that was difficult to find, oddly enough, was my brand of dish detergent, but my daughter found something that I like just as well. I am very, very spoiled to have my kids shopping for me. A true blessing!

    A happy day to you. You sound as if you are feeling much better. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy. Wow you did get a lot of things. That is great. We are seeing more items here, but now we hear on the news that meat may be in short supply due to COVID-19 in the meat processing plants. Good you got a lot of meat. We are still doing weekly shopping. My husband likes to get out of the house. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did great and how nice they were to let you get all the veggies. We like those Pretzel nibblers too! We are seeing more things on the shelves here but not as much selection on meat. My hubby went yesterday. We are still trying to stay stocked up. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much was running through my mind as I was reading...let's see if I can recall all of it ☺
    We eat lots of tacos! Tonight it's Noah's requested meal for his birthday.
    I have not been inside a store since March 16. We use curbside pickup or order through Instacart. Christy has gone into BJ's twice. We mostly got what we needed. There is a local meat and cheese business offering delivery and we think we will try them.
    I got my last med through the mail from CVS. They offered it for free so I took them up on it. Ellen's med is curbside pickup at another pharmacy.
    It is cold today!! I'm already missing the nice weather we were blessed with for a few days. I struggle to feel motivated when it's cold and rainy.
    I wish you lived closer. I got 3 bags of flour, one bread flour, with my order last week that I didn't order! They won't take it back of course and we use very little regular flour. We don't bake much and when we do it's GF.
    Take care, Kathy! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! You weren't kidding about a huge haul! Looks like a lot of good dinners. My freezer isn't big enough to plan for a month so as I shop I've had to revise a few of my menu plans.The waiting lines at my ShopRite are a bit too long for me so I depend on my local meat market & Dollar Tree. I'm glad you could get to your store. What I miss most are the people. Smiling at the checkout ladies,letting people with a few items go ahead of you & passing the time chatting. I miss going to the library & the PSPCA.
    I love the house/garden at the end of your blog.So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! You weren't kidding about a huge haul! There are quite a few good dinners there. The waiting line at my ShopRite is a bit long for me so I depend on my local meat market & Dollar Tree. I'm glad you can get to your store. What I miss are the people. Letting those with few items go ahead,chatting in line while waiting. I miss going to the library & the PSPCA.
    I love the house/garden at the end of your blog. So beautiful!
    Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great grocery haul! I am always very tired after grocery shopping- - put in the cart, put on conveyor belt to pay, put back in cart, put in trunk, take in house, put away! Whew! Ha ha. Glad the supply is better. I miss going out to eat but I’m grateful for the Lord’s supply.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you are well stocked for the month and doing well,I always enjoy reading your blog. I see you have Tastykake! I was one of my favorites when we lived in New Jersey, especially the Krumpets! It's cool here in Tennessee and has been a beautiful spring. Still sheltering at home, going out for groceries, the stores are mostly well stocked and walking daily.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It can be a pain to take the time to get so much at once, but I think it pays off in the long run. I made the mistake of going to Walmart a few weeks ago. My parents needed some items that were only at Walmart, so I decided to do my own shopping while I was there. Let me just make the story short . . . that very day I decided that I would NOT be going back into that store for quite some time. This week I did my first Walmart pick-up and I wonder why I haven't been doing it before now!

    Our local stores are still low on meats (especially ground beef), paper products (although that is improving), and many cleaning supplies (hand soap, Mr. Clean, Clorox Wipes, etc.).

    Whew! Now you don't have to go grocery shopping for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As people are getting used to lockdown, my mum tends to find more of what she needs but there are some things like flour, which are still difficult to get hold of. Loved this grocery haul! 💜

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.