Wednesday, May 27, 2020

BAKING


Hello, friends!  Happy Wednesday.  We are half-way through week #11 of our stay at home.  Things are letting up here somewhat.  But now I am so used to being at home that going out doesn't interest me that much anymore.  Strange how people get used to things.  I know I am feeling better without having to run here and there every day.  I think the running around is going to stop or at least slow down even when things reopen.  I feel as if I am getting old, but that's not possible is it?

I'm going to talk about baking today.  It seems as if everyone is jumping on the baking bandwagon these days.  Me... not so much.  I like baking, but I don't like all the clean up that accompanies it.  So I have baked only four things during this time.

The first thing I made was Amish Applesauce Bread.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out but it was wonderful.  I got the recipe from my Amish cookbook and I would definitely make it again.  It made we want to bake more things from it.


The second thing I made was an apple dump cake. I made it because I had the ingredients in the house and I wanted something sweet to eat.  I took a can of spiced apple pie filling that I was given and put that in the bottom of a greased 9"x13" pan.  Then I put a yellow cake mix on top of it and spread it around to cover everything.  Lastly I melted 3/4 cup of butter and poured it over the entire thing.  I baked it at 350* for 40 minutes.  It was very good.


The next thing I made was a banana blueberry bread. This was another recipe I got from my Amish cookbook.  It sounded good and seemed easy to make.  It was very easy.  I mixed it all up and put it into the oven to bake.  I baked it for the maximum amount of time and then let it cool according to the instructions.  After 10 minutes of cooling in the pan, I turned it out onto a cooling rack.  Some of it stuck to the bottom of the pan.  And the middle of the loaf was still batter.  I asked Joe the baker what to do.  He told me to put it back into the pan and bake it a little more.  I did.  It didn't help.

We ate the baked part.  What was baked tasted very, very good.  But I probably will not make it again.


The last thing I made was a banana bread.  We had bananas that were going bad and I had to use them fast.  I googled "easy banana bread recipe" and came up with one.  The recipe called for three bananas, but I put four into it to use them all up.  I also read the comments and found that although it called for baking soda, most people found that it didn't raise with that and suggested using baking powder which seemed to work better.  So I just put baking powder in.

It was good and didn't last long at all.  I am not a fan of banana bread, but if I have bananas that I have to use up, I will be making this again.  Here is the link to the recipe:  Joy's Easy Banana Bread.
And it really is very easy.


So are you inspired to get into your kitchen and start baking?  I'm thinking about it.  But if I do, I think I will be using a mix.

See you all later.  Have a wonderful day.

Kathy




12 comments:

  1. Everything looks delicious. Especially the banana bread. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy. Thanks for the baking inspiration. I am like you - baking is OK, but I don't do it often and hate cleaning up the mess. I may try that apple sauce bread and the Apple Dump Cake. They both look like something we would enjoy. My husband really like banana bread, and I have a recipe that uses honey instead of sugar, but he eats way more of it than I do. I'm with you about going out now - I find that even going shopping gives me anxiety. I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I've been baking a lot too. You are right about staying at home. After going out a few times, I realized how much better "home" is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am trying to stay out of the kitchen. One person has no business baking. At.all. I just told a friend that I think the agoraphobia is really settling in these days. 😖

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your breads look really good! I do enjoy baking and cookies are my go to. I've been working on perfecting a chocolate chip cookie and I think I've stumbled upon a good recipe. I can take all my experiments to work and have never had to throw any away or take home left overs! Now that our weather is getting hot I won't be baking as much. I really like to do it in the Fall an Winter. Have a good rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Edna, I have also found that since I have not been doing a lot of errand running for a while I seem to be very content at home cleaning and working in and on my house and property and now when I do have to go out I'm really not crazy about it. The baked goods looked delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, I would love to sit on that porch and have some bread and tea with you. LOL. Everything looked so tasty. Yes, I don't like to bake when it's hot out. Take care and relax. Blessings to you and Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not big on baking. If I do,it's from boxed mixes. I miss being a volunteer & hope to be doing that again soon.Though I do appreciate being in the air conditioning. Heat/humidity is not my thing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lOVE THAT you are using this time productively...you are a light for others...prayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! Never made an apple dump cake but sounds good. I love apple desserts! My grandson is baking a chocolate cake this afternoon for a (virtual) school project. Good eating tonight =)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy baking from scratch. Rarely used packaged ones. Although I do like a few Bob's red mill cakes and brownies. I'm a cookie & cake baker. Banana bread is yummy. Pies are easier now with recipes from PW cookbooks. I like her pie crust recipe. I'd rather bake that cook but we need to eat .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've baked some chocolate chip cookies at the start of lockdown and they were delicious.
    I haven't done much baking since but I did help cook lunch for my family last week and I made a pasta salad, boiled some eggs, and we all had greens on the side. It was really nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.