Tuesday, January 28, 2020

CHINESE NEW YEAR -- THE YEAR OF THE METAL RAT



Happy Chinese New Year!  A few days late, but the sentiment is the same.  I so enjoy celebrating Chinese New Year even though this year was sort of low key because of all the things going on with me.  This is the year of the White Metal Rat.  Sounds sort of gross doesn't it?  But that's not how the Chinese feel about it.

Since the rat is the first animal in the series of 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac, it is viewed as the year of new beginnings and renewal.  The last 12 years are put behind you and you are starting your life fresh.  The Metal Rat year is known as a prosperous year for everyone.

According to Chinese beliefs, it is a great year to invest in real estate and start investments of all kinds.  Hmm...  maybe I should look into this.  But beware because this will only succeed if things are carefully planned.

The first week of February is full of creative energy and motivation.  It is the gift of a clean, fresh new year with no errors or regrets.

So maybe a metal rat isn't all that bad!  All of this information came from the website "thechinesehoroscope.org".

With my Chinese heritage I usually celebrate the new year.  But this year I was just too sick.  And broke.  I have spent so much money on doctors this month.  I didn't even go to a restaurant to get my "lucky" food of long noodles and potstickers.  I did, however, make my fried rice to celebrate.  Joe really likes my fried rice and so do I.  I have never found anyone else's rice to match mine.  So I was happy with that for dinner.

But the next day, Sunday, Joe and I stopped at the Asian Bar at Shoprite after church.  I got an egg roll, some long noodles (lo mein) and some chicken and broccoli.  It was very good and just hit the spot.

I finally made it to church on Sunday.  It was so good to go even though I kept coughing through the message.  We had our annual business meeting after the service and I really wanted to get to that.

The weather has been pretty cold lately, but it is going to be in the 40s for the foreseeable future and I can live with that.  I won't go out if it is too cold unless I absolutely have to because I have cold induced asthma.  Not fun.  The other Kathy at church also has cold induced asthma.  Maybe it comes with the name.  Ha, ha!

I am going to see my cardiologist this afternoon.  I am hoping he will change my high blood pressure medicine.  I don't see how I can go on living with this one I am on because of all the side effects.  I spoke to the pharmacist and she told me to cut down on the dosage and see if the doctor would change it.  There are hundreds of different medications that won't give me itching, rash, swollen legs and feet and make me so sleepy and depressed.  So there has to be something else I can take. 

I don't have a lot of pictures to show you today, but let me end with a few pictures from the lion parade that I got off of the internet.  Someday I will get to see it in person again.  Those people familiar with Philly's Chinatown will recognize the Peace Gate in the first photo.




Hope you all have a wonderful day.  I'll be back to see you soon.

Kathy







11 comments:

  1. I’m going to see my cardiologist tomorrow. I am keeping in mind what you said about bp meds...I hadn’t given that much thought, but now I am pondering.

    Praying that your doctors find the right things for you. Enough of this feeling so poorly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you Kathy. Please take care fo yourself. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very cold and very hot temps affect my asthma and copd too. That parade looks to be so exciting. I hope the metal rat is right about this year, especially the beginning of February. I need all that energy. You take care of yourself, and have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure why 2020 was the year of the White Metal Rat but I'm glad to hear that it's going to be a prosperous one. I would love to see the Lion parade too. It look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy - this was such an interesting post. Happy Chinese New Year to you. Hope your doctor can get you on a different blood pressure med that doesn't have all those side effects. My husband takes BP meds, but he doesn't have any bad side effects, fortunately. He just started cholesterol medicine too. So glad you got to go to church. I also miss church when I can't attend. My week just doesn't seem to go as well. I rarely miss - maybe once a year if I am pretty sick. So glad you were able to get some Chinese food last night. My husband and I went out for Chinese last night with a friend. It is our favorite kind of food to eat when we go out. Hope you have a good week, and I will look forward to hearing from you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I'm sorry you still aren't feeling all that well. I'm praying things soon get sorted out and you are feeling your old self. Thanks for the interesting bit about Chinese New Year. We had a bit of a party last week in the dementia unit at the nursing home and had fun looking up everyone's birth year to see what animal we were. I had known for a long time that I was a dragon, but I learned this year that I was born in the year of the wood dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting info on the Chinese New year. Sorry to hear you still aren't doing
    well. Russ & I are down with colds. Blah! Will be praying that the doctor can get it all straightened out. Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so hoping you were well. Maybe the dr. can help. Liked hearing about the Chinese New Year and seeing the pictures. Take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hoping and praying you got some answers yesterday....changes that make a difference so you can live life as you would desire. God bless you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kathy! I do hope you can find the right blood pressure medicine for you. I was taking some that made me cough all of the time - I couldn't sing in church at all. So my doctor changed it and I haven't had any side effects. I'm thankful. I didn't realize you are of Chinese ancestry! Oh, that's marvelous. I see now why you love to celebrate the Chinese new year. I'll take all of that from the rat! :) Thank you always for your sweet visits.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry this has been such a hard month for you healthwise. I hope you're feeling better soon and they can change up that medication. Chinese New Year in China has been postponed because of the coronavirus (hope I spelled that correctly!). So maybe you'll be feeling better and celebrate later too. Take care Kathy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.