Tuesday, January 7, 2020

NEW YEAR'S EVE



Hello, friends!  I'm taking the small moments of time when I feel better to write some posts to catch you up on things.  Each day is a little better than the one before.  At least I'm not getting worse as I was last week.  Let me tell you about New Year's Eve.

I had come home from the hospital the day before.  I still was not feeling 100% with my pressure still elevated, so I decided to not do anything.  That's right.  I laid on the sofa or the bed all day.  I watched some TV, read some and slept.  What a way to end the year!  But I needed it.  I got up at one point and made myself a scrambled egg but almost wasn't able to do that.  I was wiped out when I sat down to eat it.  

I forgot to say that the night before Joe had made me a huge plate of scrambled eggs for dinner which we shared (including Jack the cat).  Joe makes the BEST scrambled eggs in the world.  He said he learned how to do it when he was a cook in the Marine Corps.  I do the same thing he does and mine does not turn out tasting as wonderful as his does.  So I was trying to recreate it, but just couldn't get there.

For dinner I had taken out some breaded flounder to cook.  We usually have fish on New Year's Eve.  Joe ended up cooking that too.  He did a great job of it.

After dinner we have our devotions.  We are still working on our 25 days of Christmas.  So many interruptions happened this year.  But Christmas is not relegated to one day, so we are just going to plow ahead and read it.  Then I read aloud another portion of Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol."  As I finished, Joe said, "The book is so much better than the movies."  It always is.

We watched a couple of TV shows I had recorded.  "Happy New Year, Charlie Brown" was cute.  I don't remember seeing it before.  And then an ABC special on 2019 in review.  By this time it was getting late, so I went into the kitchen, got a tray, and put together a snack for us from the things my sister had put in that huge basket.



Six different kinds of crackers, salami, three different kinds of cheese, mini chocolate Santas and peppermints in the gingerbread boy jar.  The white glass is a candle scented sparkling champagne which I thought was appropriate.  The little bowl is a few cat treats for Jack.  After all, he couldn't be left out.  At this point I was feeling pretty good and wanted to surprise Joe because he has been doing pretty much everything around here.

We snacked, talked, and watched the ball drop in New York City.  At midnight we kissed and said 2020 was going to be a great year.  Little did I know that in less than 24 hours I was going to be sicker than I've been in many years!  But that's a story for another day.

I took a selfie to show you fine people that I was doing good and still in the land of the living,



Yep, that's me.  Just 8 hours before disaster struck and I had an intestinal virus.

What have I learned in all of this?  That ultimately God is in control of things.  We can't see the future, but the future is in His hands.  I prayed in the hospital, believing He would answer me but I don't think I really trusted that He would.  I have learned a big lesson on believing God.  I wonder how many more times I will have to learn it because I'm pretty dense when it comes to that.

I went on Dayspring.com and took a quiz to find my word for the year.  It gave me "Abide" which is a great word, but I think the word I really need is "Trust".  It is something we as humans really need to learn.  God has already gone before us so we can trust Him because He knows what's ahead.

And with that I am going to get off of here and do something with my day.  It may be just clearing off a table or emptying the dishwasher, but it is going to be SOMETHING.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!  Enjoy!

Kathy





17 comments:

  1. Seems so many got the word abide on that quiz! Ironically, like you, my word is trust this year! Tell us about the rest of the story soon! Prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, You sure are a trooper. It was good that you did rest. I am praying you feel brand new soon. I am working on learning to stretch before tackling a big job...you know carrying in wood, cleaning the fireplace, and other such "pioneer" chores. yuck. I truly want to move bakc to town and leave this work behind. LOL. Blessings to you and Joe, take care of each other, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an experience! You really are a trooper like Susie said! I'm glad you are home and hope you can rest enough to get strong again. Take care! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for good health for both you and Joe and renewed strength. Don’t overdo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you are doing better. You really should slow down a bit on all your projects this year. Take good care of you and Joe. I'm praying for a better year for all of us. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your New Years was exciting compared to mine. I worked. lol Abide is the word I got at Dayspring. I decided to keep it because it was reflective of the way my thinking was going, anyway.
    Glad you are feeling better. Hope it won't be long till you are 100%!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you've been so sick! I hope you're feeling better and can get back into the swing of things. Isn't crazy how we just want things to be "normal" when we have to take time to heal. But we don't like to take that time or feel bad when we can't do everything. Jack is still healing from his surgery but thinks he can or should be able to do everything he normally does. Take time and rest and slowly let your body heal. Prayers and hugs from Ohio to you and Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kathy. I love this post. So glad you are feeling somewhat better. Hope you continue on the mend. I love your New Year's Eve. I love that you included your kitty when you had your treats. That is a great word for the year - abide. Trust God. Will continue prayers for your health. See you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you are feeling better. I ate something Sunday at a restaurant that upset my stomach. I know 2 things not to eat...but thankful it's better. We didn't do much on New year's eve or day. Did watch a movie though. Take care ❤ glad Joe enjoys cooking. I have a coworker that was a cook in the Navy and he makes pretty delicious food especially scalloped potatoes. 😋

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like your snack tray! Including cat treats. Great to hear you're on the mend. I understand the need to do SOMETHING. I think we each need to feel we accomplished something that day. My 'go to' is laundry. And dinner! Please don't over do. "Abide" is my word too. Though I agree trust is the word I need as well.Prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. P s
    One of my grands reminded me that I chose the word family as my word! We discussed trust but she said I didn't truly need that word. She thinks nana trusts everyone! Lol
    Feel better Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Kathy! Your snacks do look yummy. Now I'm so so sorry to read about how sick you've been. I read your previous post about your blood pressure! Oh, my goodness, that had to have been so scary. Isn't it amazing how our God takes care of us? You're a strong woman of faith and your witness is inspiring to us. I pray you continue to improve fast. Don't over do it and since your hubby is such a good cook - milk this, honey, milk it for all you can! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to hear you are feeling a bit better each day. What a nice tray of food you put together for New Years Eve! You even thought of the cat ♥
    May God bless you and keep you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You had a lovely New Year's eve Kathy, nothing like staying at home :)
    So very sorry to read you have been poorly, hopefully you are on the mend, and will soon be back up and running.
    Wishing you and Joe a Happy New Year, may it be one filled with love, happiness and peace.
    Hugs,
    ~jo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sure once you're better, your 2020 will be amazing! I don't really do much either for New Year's Eve. This year I just went around friends but it wasn't a lot of fun. I wish I could have spent it in the comfort of my home and loved ones, watching TV like you! 😂😀

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear that you've been ill, but are now on the mend. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Popping in to say that you have been very much on my mind and in my prayers. Silence from this corner is unusual...no, I am not saying you talk too much, I am saying that you are an excellent blogger!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.