Tuesday, September 3, 2019

LABORING ON LABOR DAY


And, friends, that is just what I did.  I woke up around 4:00 a.m. like I usually do, and decided to sleep in.  When I finally woke for good it was 9:00 a.m.  Nice!

But let me back up a day and tell you about Sunday the first of September.  After church Debbie and Rusty joined Joe and me and we went out for lunch.  We went back and forth on where to go.  But when I found out that Rusty had never been to the new Shoprite, we decided to go there.  I am getting back on my diet because I really need to keep losing weight.  I seem to have hit a plateau, but I really stopped looking at what I was eating once I got sick.  I ate anything that would stay down.  So now I am watching things again.  I had a salad while everyone else had something from the hot bars.  Let me tell you, I enjoyed it just as much as they did theirs.

While we were there we picked up a few things.  I am going to do my regular shopping today, but this was for the weekend.  So here's my mini grocery haul. The battery on my camera had died, so I used my phone.  Sorry the pictures are so blurry.


I got spare ribs (they were on sale), bananas, and potato salad.  I was going to make my own, but decided to let them do the work even though it isn't as good as homemade.

Joe wanted these little mini turnovers -- lemon and apple.  Yes, he got them.

For years I have had a special dinner to welcome September.  It is my favorite month.  Joe's too.  In fact, I went back yesterday and re-read my blog entries for September 1st and found that I've been doing this longer than I thought although not every year.  But I've been pretty consistent.  The special dinner on September 1st is spare ribs.  There are different side dishes, but always spare ribs.  I wasn't going to do it this year, but when we walked in and the sale case they have by the front door had spare ribs, I knew that I had to get them and that was what we would have.

When we got home, we were both so tired we took naps.  Then when we got up, neither of us were hungry.  Finally around 8:00 p.m. we decided that we had to eat something so we could take our medicine.  So Joe said he would make dinner and put the ribs in the oven.  The only side we had with it was the potato salad.  The ribs were so good!  And I kept up the tradition.  I didn't get a picture of it, though.

Yesterday was Labor Day.  We really didn't have anything planned.  So when I saw our friend Frank was online, I emailed him and asked what he was doing and if he could help me with the yard.  Frank used to do all our yardwork the two or three years he was out of work.  Once he got a job, that was the end of it -- understandably.  We got another guy -- a company actually -- and they were terrible.  They charged us a lot of money and did a horrible job.  So this year I have been cutting the grass on my own and doing my best to keep up with the rest of it.  But I've come to realize that the weeds grow faster than I can handle it.  I told Frank it was a one time deal and he said he would come over.

Let me show you how bad the yard was.


This was the right hand side.  You can see the rosebushes just poking through.

This was the left hand side.  Things were really bad.  It makes me sad to think that my bad back and knees keep me from doing one of the things I love most -- gardening.  The red hot weather this summer didn't help either.


Frank showed up around 2:00 p.m. and went right to work.  And this guy worked!  He started at the back and worked his way forward.  He even climbed up on the wall we have to cut back the tree branches from next door that were taking over.  You can just see his red shirt in this picture.


And the branch is down!


I was out there for awhile talking to him and helping him bag things up.  Then Joe came out and began to help.  So I asked Frank if he would like to stay for dinner and he immediately said yes. I went inside to clean up the kitchen a bit.  It was still too early to start dinner.  I was sitting by the window watching them for awhile and Frank was really going at it while Joe held the trash bag for him.  He certainly earned every cent I paid him.

Look at the difference he made.


The right side...

… and the left side.

I had kept up with the patio area.  At least part of the yard looked nice.  The last time we were at Lowes I bought 12 coleus plants for $6 on a clearance sale.  Look how well they are doing.



I found the little solar lights at Dollar Tree.  They were the last ones they had.  They are so cute at night shining on the coleus.

I got a pot of basil at Shoprite for $1.  They were selling it so cheaply because the plants were tiny and looked as if they were going to die.  I put it in my earthbox and most of them did die.  But look at the basil that is left.   I use basil a lot and I am very happy.  I just love the way it smells.


Frank was almost finished when the heavens opened and the rain poured down.  He and Joe came into the house.  I started to make dinner and Joe said, "Hand it over here."   He ended up making dinner for us -- again.  I could get used to this!

We had a great dinner.  There was roast pork loin which Joe did in the air fryer, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans and cinnamon applesauce.


I had a big load of dishes in the dishwasher so we had mismatched plates.  Oh well!

Once dinner was finished, Frank headed out.  He is coming back today to finish up.

So that was us laboring on Labor Day.  But it was a good day and we got a lot done.  Now on to today.  It's been a wonderful start to my favorite month.

Kathy




4 comments:

  1. Frank did a fantastic job! You weren't kidding about your yard. (I was starting to see if Tarzan was in there somewhere.) I absolutely LOVE coleus! We have big pots in our yard but seeds have sprouted in the alley-way & in the concrete by the fence. I love the colors & it takes a LOT for it to die. Some of our plants last through November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That Frank did a fantastic job! And a guest for supper, too. That is nice.

    Happy September, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frankly, I could use a Frank in my life. This year, knee and hip problems kept me out of the yard. Hubby said he'd like to do it but he moves so slowly, the weeds would probably cover him before he was done.

    I'm encouraged when I see people using their air fryer. So far, I have not learned to love mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I could use your Frank to keep my yard looking nice. He did a great job with yours. That dinner looks yummy! Enjoy that wonderful yard! Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.