Wednesday, September 18, 2019

GROCERY HAUL


Hello, friends!  Here it is the middle of the week already.  It was a busy day today.

I went to work this morning and completed everything that Pastor had left me to do.  It took a little over an hour but that was good because then I also had time to sort some toiletries that was donated to us to give to homeless people and was there when two ladies came to drop off food for our food pantry.  We have a very small pantry that we use to help out those who are hungry in our neighborhood.

Joe was with me this morning and Rick was there for awhile too.  Joe and I came home for lunch and then we were both so tired that we took naps.  But we got up in time to go food shopping this afternoon before we headed out to Bible Study.

Let me show you what I got at the store.



Bananas, mushrooms, brussels sprouts (I was going to get spinach, bout saw these and changed my mind) and chopped onion flakes.  I use these a lot to give just a hint of onion flavor.  I also put them in my potato salad these days instead of big chunks of raw onion.



I had just finished up the lemon juice, so it was time to get a new bottle.  We were getting a little low on milk so I got another carton.  The lactose free milk lasts much longer than regular milk, so this will be fine for a week or even longer.  And I had only two eggs left, so it was time for another carton.



Joe went to get the bagels and came back with cinnamon raisin.  Yum!  We got hot dog rolls and lactose free cheese.  It was on sale today for $1.99.



Treats for everyone:  Chips for me, M&Ms for Joe, and Temptations for Jack.  😉



Bird seed and cat food so that the birds aren't the cat food.



Frozen fries, bacon, stewing beef (it's getting to that cooler weather where a stew sounds good) and smoked sausage.  We had the sausage for dinner and it was good.  We were looking for hot dogs and couldn't find them so got this instead.



 Paper towels and quart sized bags.  I had only two bags left and was down to my last roll of paper towels.



The Bartlett pears were so good last week that we got some more.  I got some pancake mix that was on sale.  I haven't had it in over a year.  And then we got little pies for 99 cents.  Sweet potato pie for me and chocolate eclair pie for Joe.



I went to get fish and there behind the counter was my favorite fishmonger from the other Shoprite I used to go to.  She is such a sweetheart.  She pointed at me and said, "You're at the wrong store."  I pointed at her and said, "No, you're at the wrong store."  Then we both laughed.  I got breaded flounder filets and she made sure they were frozen and wrapped separately because I wasn't going to use them tonight.  So nice!  The ground turkey was on sale for $1.99/pound.  A nice change from ground beef.  And margarine.  I was down to my last stick.

I love it when you tell me that I have given you ideas for dinner or that I've shown you a product that you've never heard of.  It's amazing how differently we eat in different parts of the country and around the world.

I need to end this and go to bed.  I have work tomorrow and then a doctor's appointment.  It never ends.  I will see you later in the week.

Kathy

7 comments:

  1. Good shopping. I've not bought margarine in years. Butter is better. I get it from Costco as it's cheaper that way. Phil gets items from there as he works close by. They have deals each month. I enjoy summer season with all the fresh fruits. Hoping to get free apples from a friend later this week when I visit with her at lunch. Homemade applesauce yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use margarine because we are both highly allergic to butter.

      Delete
  2. What a haul! I see things on this list & on your dinner menu that I would never think of pairing together. But it works! I have a tip in case someone can use it. I was stuck one night for another side dish. I'd already made mashed potatoes,rice etc that week. I used the new mashed cauliflower! My husband loved it! Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We tried it but neither of us liked it. I know it is very popular though. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  3. "Cat food - so the birds aren't the cat food"! Ha ha. Loved it!
    Have a good day Kathy!
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great, except for the ground turkey. That's not for me. You certainly have a busy life. Keep it up as long as you can. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Busy day and lots of goodies! I smiled at your chips and his M&M's...the total opposite for Jack and I..he's the chip guy and I love M&M's..but I don't buy them too often, but once in a while a girl just has to have a treat! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.