Tuesday, January 16, 2018

WHAT I'M READING: THE LONG WINTER (2018/2)

2018 - Book 2
What do you read when it's cold -- below freezing and no end in sight?  You read Laura Ingalls Wilder's book "The Long Winter."

Image result for the long winter

Summary:
The sixth book in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s treasured Little House series, and the recipient of a Newbery Honor. This edition features the classic black-and-white artwork from Garth Williams.
The fledgling town of De Smet in the Dakota Territory is hit hard by the brutal winter of 1880-1881. Laura, Pa, Ma, Mary, Carrie, and little Grace face the winter as best they can, but soon, blizzards have covered the town in snow that piles up to the rooftops, cutting the town off from supplies and trade. Food stores begin to run dangerously low. To save the town from starvation, young Almanzo Wilder and a friend brave the conditions, set off across the prairie in search of wheat, and return victorious. The town is saved, and the townspeople share in an unusual, but joyful, Christmas celebration.

My review:
I am in love with the Little House books.  And I had never heard of any of them until I was an adult.  

This weather has made us all so cold.  And as the cold crept into my house I thought of this book.  It wasn't until someone on facebook was talking about reading it that I thought -- "Why not?"  And it was as good as the first time I read it.

That is the thing with Laura Ingalls Wilder's books.  You can read them over and over and they are still fresh and a good story. 

As I finished it last night I thought, "Well, they got through a winter far worse than ours with far less supplies than I have.  I can at least get to a store and I won't starve to death or freeze to death even if I am cold.  God saw them through to the end and He will do the same for me."  And so He will.

Kathy

Weather in Philadelphia:
High:  40*F (4*C)
Low:  28*F (-2*C)
Sunrise:  7:19 a.m.     Sunset:  5:01 p.m.
9 hours and 42 minutes of daylight




8 comments:

  1. It’s 22 degrees down here! We haven’t been out yet to see if it’s icy. I wanted to go to Waco today but I doubt we will. It will be a good day to make a big pot of stew and watch movies and do needlework. But right now I’m still in the girl bunk under all the quilts and covers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love reading some books again and again. I'm currently going through the Mitford series....some the second time, some I've read more than that. Winter is a good time for that!
    I'm glad God gave you hope and encouraged you through this book. Winter is so long and cold. I'm usually over it way before it ends!!
    Take care and keep bundled up with a book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading, although I haven't done much of it lately. There are a couple old movies that I love and could watch over and over. One of my favorites is "Yankee Doodle Dandy."

    Hang in there, Spring isn't very far off. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love thta book too> Read it in Dutch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thank God daily for a warm home during these cold days and nights when so many have so much less. The human spirit is pretty amazing though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first grade teacher read us all the Little House books in school...I have always loved them. I live about an hour away from DeSmet, SD, so continue to read the Long Winter every year...fortunately, we haven't had the snow they had that winter, but we've definitely had the cold and wind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Lord sends encouragement in so many ways! Hang in there,spring WILL come!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have these on my library wish list and may read them soon too. I love the familiar characters. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.