Thursday, January 4, 2018

GREEBY STREET


Good morning everyone!  Welcome to the worst temperatures Philadelphia has ever had.  We are breaking all kinds of records.  The mayor declared a Snow Emergency for our city which means that everything is shut down.  The snow is here and it shows no sign of stopping anytime soon.  We have the emergency until tomorrow night at 7 p.m.  Not good folks.

I'm so glad that Joe and I made ourselves go to ShopRite last night and get our groceries.  Boy did I spend a lot of money.  But now it will be about three weeks before I need to go again.  And with the weather the way it has been, that's a good thing.  It took us 3 hours to do the shopping.  The place was jammed.  I had to park a long way from the store which didn't do my breathing or my legs any good.  Then there were no carts.  Joe found one that someone else was giving up.  We stood in the checkout line for over 30 minutes.  It was a madhouse!

So instead of focusing on that, I thought I would show you pictures of Greeby Street.  This one block in the Mayfair neighborhood of Philly has the most beautiful lights.  Because of the cold Joe and I did not get out of the car, but drove very slowly down the street to see all the lights.  Neither of us had our camera with us, so I grabbed these photos from their facebook page.  It isn't Christmas around here without a trip down Greeby Street.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.













Every house on the street is decorated with the same color lights.  I wish you all could have been with us because these pictures just do not do it justice.

Try to stay warm, folks.  A warm up is coming (hopefully) in just 5 days.

Kathy

Weather in Philly
Snow/Wind
High:   24*F (-4*C)
Low:  9*F (-13*C)
Sunrise:  7:22 a.m.     Sunset: 4:49 p.m.
9 hours and 27 minutes of daylight




13 comments:

  1. So glad you got your groceries, even tho it was a 'nightmare'. Please do stay inside and stay warm. Loved the pictures of the Christmas decorations, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photos are lovely. The Christmas lights are so beautiful. It's good that you got out to do your grocery shopping. Pogo and I did not get out, but we have plenty of food. It's quite stormy and cold here too. Stay warm and try to have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lights are gorgeous! WOW! And I'm SO glad you were able to get lots of groceries and now be able to stay home. I hope you are warm and safe my friend. It's a dangerous storm, for sure! We got down to 27 degrees last night all the way in Florida! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

  4. Can you imagine living on Greeby Street? It would be like a party every night! I wonder if you HAVE to put up lights, if you live there?
    Please stay inside to keep warm. Sending you warms thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh they are beautiful!!! keep warm,,,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you and Joe are home and safe today, Kathy, cause it's nasty outside for sure. here in Nashua, NH, it's been snowing since early morning and still going. We got our grocery shopping done earlier in the week and since we live in an apt there are no worries about going out to shovel. That said, I do feel badly for all those who will have to get out and dig out after the snow finally stops. We've been there and done that too for many years and it wasn't much fun. The lights on Greeby Street were festive and I was wondering how early the folks light them and how long they stay up...do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy, I loved all the photos. I am so glad that you and Joe will not have to get back out in this dreaded cold. Please even taking out trash...be safe, scoot your feet. I do think about you, please be safe honey. Blessings to you and Joe, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Though you had to go through all that to shop, it is good to have the pantry reloaded. I enjoyed the tour of Greeby Street.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful lights! WOW!! Glad you are well stocked and can relax inside where it is warm. Hope you don't lose power like so many have! Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We got very little snow but wow, is it ever windy!! We took dinner to my daughter and family that just had a baby. I was happy to get home. A little snow in a big wind causes a mess :o
    Glad you got the grocery shopping done but what a challenge!
    The lights are amazing!!
    Stay in and stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snow is often good news for food shops as people panic buy. The weather patterns are weird now, so lets hope it warms up for you soon. I think you are more able to cope with heavy snow than we are, here everything comes to a halt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched the weather channel most of the day yesterday as Grayson moved up the seacoast. I was thinking of all the people I know who live in its path. I am glad that you didn't lose power.

    Last night I saw an Insta-story of our grandchildren in VA Beach playing the piano. Behind them was a picture window with snow falling outside. The fireplace was burning brightly beside them and both boys were playing on the piano together the song, Mission Impossible. It was the cutest thing! The Instagram said that they had lost power so they were heating with the fireplace.

    I am happy that your food is in, that you have power, and that you are warm and cozy. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I need to go shopping but not happening today. Stayed home and got a few things done. I like Greeby street Christmas lights. We have visited Peacock lane in Portland a few years ago with our family and two grandchildren. It was so fun and everybody had a display, different colors and so fun. Years ago when we first were in that area we took our children. Now they are all grown up! We didn't light up outside at all this year. Stay warm and inside til all the freezing temps, snow and ice are gone. It looks like east coast got hit with what we had last year this time! Baby is it's cold outside! God bless and take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.