Wednesday, January 10, 2018

BIRDS


It's winter and the poor little birds are having a hard time finding their food.  Joe and I have been filling the bird feeder and putting out suet.  It always draws a crowd.



We have been enjoying eating lunch while watching the birds through the window.  Joe likes seeing them all sitting in the tree waiting their turn to get to the feeder.


But the other day we had a surprise.  We spotted a cardinal.




It has been years since we have seen a cardinal.  We were so excited.



But what was even more exciting was that we saw a female cardinal also.





They have been back several times and we are hoping they will make a nest somewhere and have babies.  I would love to see more cardinals around here.

But maybe not make a nest in our tree unless it's way in the top.  Our tree has a hungry visitor.


Get out of there "Stash" and we will feed you something better than freshly caught bird.


Now say thank you to Joe for putting out some kitty crunchies for you.  You're welcome.

Kathy

Weather in Philly
Clear
High:  40*F (4*C)
Low:  19*F  (-7*C)
Sunrise:  7:21 a.m.     Sunset:  4:54 p.m.
9 hours and 33 minutes of daylight


12 comments:

  1. I LOVED your blog today! The photos are fantastic. I felt like I was right there watching the birds. I haven't seen a cardinal in a long time either. To see mates,what joy! I'm sure they know that Stash is there. Bless you for feeding both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting a bit warmer! Here, too, before we dip back into the deep freeze. Oh I love seeing cardinals, too! Hope they hang around knowing there’s a food source. I have heard that they are very territorial and will not allow other cardinals near. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many pretty birds. It's fun to watch them but I hope kitty likes kitty food better! heehee! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cardinals, too. It sounds like if you have a pair there they might already be nesting somewhere close by.

    That is a whole lotta birds you are feeding, Kathy. lol Hope you have a great day- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy when I was looking at the photos in this post it reminded me of the bird watching I used to do in our VA home. I could see the feeders from our kitchen window and spent hours watching and taking photos. We also had many cardinals and it's even the state bird. And, yes I too got excited seeing the male's bright colors no matter how often I saw any.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love watching the birds too and my favorites are the cardinals and hummingbirds. But, I love all the birds. What a naughty kitty cat. Hope he didn't dine on any of the birds. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun to watch the birds coming to your feeder!! Keep that cat well-fed please! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are both good to feed the birds, and even the cat! Wintertime is hard on us all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you and Joe, feeding those birds! I love backyard birds, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a cardinal when I went to Réunion island near south Africa! Winter must be beautiful where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We see cardinals sometimes. They are so beautiful. I hope you get more. Several years ago I was an in home companion to an elderly couple. They had so many cardinals in their backyard. I never in my life saw so many at once.....it was amazing!
    Hope you both are well and staying warm. The cold has returned :( Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kathy, It's been a while since I have popped in for a visit. It was nice catching up.

    Bird watching kind of found me a few years back. Love capturing the hummingbirds that visit my yard. I also get hawks, doves, sparrows, but have not seen a carddinal.

    One might think, having a football team named the Cardinals, it was our state bird or something, but no! The Cactus Wren is. How did the Cardinals get their name? Back when the team was formed in Chicago, the owner bought used jersey's from the University of Chicago. "He described the faded maroon clothing as "Cardinal red" and the team, then playing at 61st and Racine Street, became the Racine Street Cardinals." (http://www.profootballhof.com/teams/arizona-cardinals/team-history/)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.