Saturday, December 23, 2017

BLOGMAS DAY 19 -- THE EVE OF CHRISTMAS EVE


Hello and welcome to Blogmas Day 19.  Today I will show you what happened yesterday.  As for today...  Well, I really don't know how I am going to get everything done.  I have all my baking to do.  I have knitting to finish.  I have all the gifts to wrap, cleaning to do and the tree is still not up.  I am determined.  And don't worry, you will see a finished project tomorrow.

But first, let's see what happened on Friday.  It was a busy day.

It was trash day so the day began with us taking our old mattress off of our bed, bagging it up (we have to have mattresses sealed in plastic bags for the trash men to take it) and getting it out on the curb.  Let me tell you, that was a job!  Our stairway turns so the mattress has to turn.  And then turn again to get to the front door and turn again to go out the front door.  It wasn't too bad with both of us doing it.

Then there was getting the new mattress on the bed.  Joe had bought one from Mattress Firm online and it came all rolled up and vacuum sealed in a box.  We had to take it out of the box, get it upstairs (with those turns again) and into our room.  Then there was the unwrapping.  But...  it was worth it all!  It's such a comfy mattress.  I made up the bed with our red sheets, added white and green pillow cases and a tan fake fur blanket.  Doesn't it look nice?  I love to make up a pretty bed.


After all of that we were hungry.  I drove Joe to Wawa and he bought us Sizzlie sandwiches for breakfast.  I had a croissant with egg, cheese and sausage.  Joe had one with bacon.  He got us homefries too.


We love using our new mugs.


While we ate we were watching the birds at the feeder.  These pictures aren't very good because they were taken through the window. 

Hungry birds.

They were like acrobats, hanging upside down or sideways and twisting into all kinds of shapes to get the suet and seed.

There was a starling hanging out with the sparrows.  I haven't seen a starling in ages.  And it used to be that was all I would see.

I was really surprised to see a mourning dove.  It stayed on the ground and ate all the seed that the others were dropping from the feeder.

Jack continues to entertain us.  His latest thing is getting on the counters to watch us eat -- and hopefully get some treats from the table.  We would prefer he NOT be on the counter, but our little friends Mickey and Minnie have been spotted on the counter so we figure we won't correct him.  For now.

He's really adorable and a very good cat.


Our afternoon was spent running around.  I took Joe to get a haircut.  Then he insisted I go to Urgent Care and get my knee looked at.

I didn't want to go because the last time we were there we waited 4 1/2 hours to see a doctor.  But this time it was about a 1/2 hour wait and most of that was filling out paperwork.  The doctor examined me and said I have a pool of fluid under the skin and something else that I forgot what and that is what is causing the swelling.  He took about 9 x-rays and nothing is broken although I have a large amount of arthritis in the knee.  I already knew that.  So I have painkillers and I am to stay off of it and keep it elevated as much as possible.  I'm not to drive too much.  Like that's going to happen since I have a 2 hour drive up to my sister's house and a 2 hour drive back and Joe can't help me drive.  Oh well.  That's what cruise control is for.  😉

After we got out, Joe said he was hungry.  So we went to Country Club for an early dinner.  Joe got crab cakes, macaroni and cheese and stewed tomatoes.  This is his comfort food from when he was a kid and he orders it a lot.  I got chicken francaise over spaghetti.  It was very good.

The restaurant was so festive.  I snuck a picture of their decorations.


After getting my medicine, the rest of the evening was spent resting with my leg up.  But now I have a lot to do that wasn't done yesterday.  The oven will be working overtime today.  I just keep telling myself that Christmas will come whether I get everything done or not.  A friend of mine told me yesterday that you can't sweat the small stuff, you need to enjoy the season.  I'm trying.

I hope you all have a great day today and don't sweat the small stuff.  Maybe some year I will actually be ready for Christmas.  *sigh*

Kathy




8 comments:

  1. oh gee Kathy,, thats a bummer about your knee but at least nothing is broken! Your Jack is identical one of our fur babies from long ago and he was a sweet heart too!!You have been eating some yummy meals!! Can you tell I'm hungry lol,,, have a great day Kathy and keep that knee elevated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, Be careful driving if you take any pain meds...I am just being mommy. LOL. Be happy you are not over ran with starlings...they are nasty and run pretty song birds away. Kathy, I want to wish you and Joe a very Merry Christmas and a New Year of good health and happiness. xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you and Joe what Louis Dean said he and his beloved Ellen did.....make a lot of lemonade!
    You both roll with the punches as well as anyone I know! I hope I do the same. Fretting doesn’t help. Worry makes things worse. Just do the best you can with what you can!
    Louis Dean’s comfort food is cornbread and milk! Mine is crackers and milk as well as tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. That’s all my children’s comfort food too!
    Love your new bed. We got ours new this year and it’s so high I really need a step stool to get in it!
    Merry Christmas, Sweet Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You poor thing! All your ailments at this time of the year.
    You will get through this.
    I enjoy reading about the different restaurants that you go to. We don't have many and the ones that we do have are the fast food chains. We usually just stay home. Or if it is a special occasion, we are invited to someone's home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bed looks so inviting! I love all your birds. Some of ours seem to have found a new place to eat. Hopefully, they'll call come back soon. Jack is a beautiful kitty cat. He deserves to be spoiled. All our fur babies do. Take it easy with your knee. What gets done, gets done. Some things can wait until after Christmas. You have a wonderful evening, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, a new mattress and the bed looks so pretty too! Your cat is beautiful!! And, please don't overdo it. Hopefully the pain will lessen each day. I'm working at being ready. Wrapped some gifts today and made some snack food. No cleaning got done but I feel done for today!
    God bless you with a restful night! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm overjoyed to hear that nothing was broken! Glad joe made you get it checked out. At least try to rest it as much as possible. Love the birds! Sometimes the sparrows come just by my opening the back door! Jack looks very handsome on your counter.Or anywhere really.Russ always says a majority of our holiday budget is spent on food haha! Travel safely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you will try to rest and elevate that knee as much as you can. Sounds like you have lots to do and places to go, but do take care of you in all of it. Jim got a bird feeder and a large can of bird seed from one of our daughters for his Christmas, and am anxious to get it set up. Both of us love watching the birds. Your bed looks very nice, and glad the new mattress is comfortable. I love grey cats...my favorite and yours is beautiful. Have a happy Christmas Eve.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.