Monday, March 24, 2014

MOVIE MONDAY -- 12 YEARS A SLAVE


12 Years a Slave poster


2013 Film

In the pre-Civil War United States, Solomon Northup, a free black man from upstate New York, is abducted and sold into slavery. Facing cruelty at the hands of a malevolent slave owner, as well as unexpected kindnesses, Solomon struggles not only to stay alive, but to retain his dignity. In the twelfth year of his unforgettable odyssey, Solomon's chance meeting with a Canadian abolitionist will forever alter his life.

Release date: October 18, 2013 (USA)
Director: Steve McQueen 
Running time: 134 minutes 
MPAA rating: R 
Initial DVD release: March 4, 2014 (USA)
 ----------------------------------------
This was a hard movie to watch.  My heart was pounding through most of it.  It is hard for me to understand how someone can look at another human being and not see them for who they are.
I was impressed by the dignity and bravery of Solomon Northup.  It would have been easy to be like all the others, but he never forgot that he was not "Platt the slave" but "Mr. Solomon Northup of Saratoga Springs, NY".  A gentleman.  With a wife and two children whom he adored.
The acting was superb.  Even though 12 years was eclipsed into 2 hours, you could feel the passing of time.  The movie was based on a true story and I would love to know more about him.  So if you know me, you know what that means.  I am getting internet and hard copy books about him and reading to my heart's content.
There is some nudity and bad language in this movie, so that is why it is rated R.  I would not allow children to see it.  Too cruel.  But for everyone else, I highly recommend it.
----------------------------------------
This is a new series I am starting called Movie Monday.  I have been seeing such good ones that I will occasionally be sharing them with you.


Kathy

5 comments:

  1. I haven't seem this, but I think you have described it very well, because now I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like one I'd like to see. Based on your review,it appears it was done factually. I agree that
    I cannot understand how one person can view another like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the newer movies that I plan on seeing. Glad you had a chance to see it. Hope you have a great week Kathy. We are to be cold again and maybe some snow..it will not last. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like something I'd enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for you to start something new and exciting.
    I don't go to movies often but when I do I like to know a little bit about it.
    This is going to be helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.