Saturday, March 1, 2014

HAVE A LOVELY DAY TODAY


How many times a day do you hear the phrase "Have a nice day"?  Or if you are in retail or public service as I am, how many times a day do you say it?  It must be at least 30 or 40 times a day I say those words or have them said to me.  But do I really mean it?  Do I really want the person I'm speaking with to have a nice day?  Or is it just something to say?  Or maybe, like me, it is some of both.

When did we begin to say this phrase?  I don't remember people saying it when I was little.  Someone told me it came about with the "smiley face".  If you remember, the phrase "have a nice day" was written around the outside of that face.


 Now you see the phrase EVERYWHERE!



As a side note, Joe knows the guy who first drew the smiley face with the words "Have a Nice Day" around it.  He had it copyrighted and got paid for awhile.  Then someone drew the face without the words.  And another person used the words without the face.  This broke the copyright and so now it is used all over and he gets nothing.  So sad.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is we (I at least) should really want people to have a nice day.  Even the ones who are mean and nasty to us.  Maybe I should step it up a little to what the calendar page says and tell people to "have a lovely day today."


Kathy
 

8 comments:

  1. You are so right! It made me stop & think...How many times I've said it without thinking (or meaning?) it.
    That's a little sad... but one thing I am doing, is paying more attention to clerks at the checkout line. I actually
    look at them when I ask "how are you today?" Most are a little flustered that someone asked,with eye contact,
    how they are. You are so right that there are many times we could brighten someone's day with a well-wished
    comment.Thank you for doing this blog & I will try to spread my share of "lovelies".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, When someone wishes me to 'Have a nice day"...I say , "you too honey" and I mean it. I can tell when it's just something they are saying...but I still respond the same. What does it hurt, to be nice. Some times that is all someone may need is a kind word. Hope you have a great weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie, you are so right. It never hurts to be kind. I just find myself saying it mindlessly to hundreds of people a day and I want to actually mean it.

      Delete
  3. What the world needs now is Love sweet Love!
    There are so many people who are hurting and need a smile or have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow- I thought I put a comment here but got caught up with kids so maybe I didn't. Anyway, the first time I heard that was in 1971 in a little convenience store in Florida and there was a big smiley face on the front of the counter. I always try to REALLY wish people a good day and mean it. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes people say have a nice day before I have a chance to, which is nice. One man, years ago, said don't tell me what kind of day to have. He never seemed happy. I work at the register for years so I heard it awhile. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Customer service here in South Florida is terrible. Cashiers often don't even say "Hi" before ringing you up so if they smile and tell me to have a nice day I'm impressed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Because of my jobs down through the years, I feel like I've said, 'have a nice day' close to 2 or 3 million times. Most of the time it is genuine, but a lot of times, I think I'm just on automatic pilot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.