Wednesday, August 28, 2013

BACK TO WORK

And what a time I have had.  Diane is at the McPherson Square Branch this week.  (Next week is my turn to go.)  We have been extremely busy with just Bob and me there.  Boss is on vacation, so it's just us, Sheila and the guard.  

So Monday we were really looking forward to Marquita showing up at 3:00.  About 10 after 3 we got a phone call from her saying she had just been in a car accident.  Apparently it was pretty bad.  Later her mother called and said she was in the hospital.  I spoke with Marquita yesterday morning.  She said was on her way to work and at an intersection a woman drove straight through a red light, smashed into her car and then took off.  Fortunately there were three witnesses (one of whom called the police) and one of them got the license plate number.  She hurt her leg and foot and is shaken up, of course, but will be OK.  She says she may be in today but definitely by Friday.  I told her to take it easy and if she didn't feel up to coming in, to just stay home.

I certainly understand about a bum leg.  I have been on my feet at least 5 hours each day.  There is so much work to do and neither Bob nor I have any time to do it because every other hour we are on the desk.  It is tough and every evening when I come home my knee is hugely swollen.  I am in a lot of pain all day long at work.  Oh if I could only heal.

The good news is that my mouth is finally healed.  I'm almost afraid to say that for fear that it will start acting up again.  I was supposed to go to the dentist this Thursday, but he canceled and it is now rescheduled for September 12th.  This is a bad day because, again, we are severely shorthanded, but what am I to do?

I felt badly when I went to work on Monday because I saw from the schedule that Diane was on the desk for 4 hours straight while I was out sick last week.  That is very tough.  But later this week I will get a taste of that since Diane will still be at McPherson Square and Bob will be out for two days to go to a funeral.  So it will just be Sheila, Walt the guard and me.  Sheila asked today for us to get some help, but no one wants to help us.  Either I will be stuck on the desk all day or we will just close.  I told her I would take a couple of days vacation.  It would be nice to go back to cleaning up the house and yard.  And get off of my leg, of course.

Tonight I just had to get out of the place, so I took a drive to RiteAid.  I made the mistake of going down the aisle with the discount fall decorations and ended up spending $20.  But I guess that's not too bad.  I got this cute little scarecrow figure, two candles (cinnamon spiced pear and honey pumpkin pie) that smell oh so good, and 6 washcloths in fall colors for the bathroom.  I usually don't "decorate" the bathroom all that much, but thought these would be cute.  I'll post pictures later of everything.  I also got a bag of pretzels for work.  Everyone at work loves pretzels and since they were only $1 I thought I'd treat.

It was dark when I came out of work at 8:00 tonight.  That is the one thing I do not like about fall -- the days get shorter.  Less sunlight.  I like coming out of work and it still being light and having some time to do things.  I guess I'll just have to wait until spring for that though.

Well enough of my rambling.  Tomorrow is another day of work.  I'd better try to sleep even though I'm not at all sleepy.  I will be tomorrow morning though.  Until later...

Mostly SunnyTuesday
Mostly sunny
High:  89 degrees at 3:45 p.m. EDT
Low:  73 degrees at 6:25 a.m.  EDT
Sunrise:  6:23 a.m. EDT
Sunset:  7:39 p.m.  EDT

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, sounds like you are having a tough week this week. Hang in there friend!

    I hate it getting dark earlier. I am so not ready for summer to end :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your week certainly isn't starting off very well...I'm glad
    your co-worker wasn't more seriously hurt.
    While I know you don't want to lose time from work,closing might be the best thing for your knee.
    Keep it elevated & speedy healing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice that knee, Kathy, 20 minutes on, 20 off, it will help. Do you take any supplements? Omega-3 helps joints so much, also glucosimine and chondroitin, as long as you are not diabetic. Working in a small place has many drawbacks, when one person is out, it is like 25% of the team is out! I went through that when I was working in a bank branch. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, When I read about your work place...it's like that all over...short handed. Companies, schools, libraries, cafes, you name it. Those in charge are trying to save money and cut corners...it effects everything. You better take care of that knee girl...you'll be needing a surgery if you don't . This is one of your "moms" speaking. LOL.Oh gaaa I raised 4 daughters and I can't help myself. Just be careful, honey. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.