Friday, August 9, 2013

WHAT I'M READING



ERIC LIDDELL:  SOMETHING GREATER THAN GOLD
by Janet & Geoff Benge (1998)

About the book:
Eric Liddell (1902-1945)

As the race began, it had seemed obvious that Eric Liddell was overmatched.  Now the crowd in the Olympic stadium hushed as this runner from Scotland refused to be passed.  As Eric crossed the finish line, the crowd erupted in applause heard all over Paris.  Eric Liddell had done the impossible.  A new world record had been set!

Eric's refusal earlier that week to run on Sunday in the Olympic 100-meter race had stunned the world.  Now his incredible victory in the 400-meter race further strengthened his belief in God's promise, "He who honors Me, I will honor."

Years later, Eric Liddell would be tested far beyond mere physical ability as a missionary to China.  His character, persevereance, and endurance are a challenging example for all who would obey the call to bring the gospel to the nations.
------------------------------------------------------

I haven't done a "What I'm Reading" post for awhile now.  But this is a book that I wanted to share with you because it is really worth reading.  I saw this posted on another blog that I read.  Since I had just watched the movie "Chariots of Fire" I was interested in Eric Liddell so I wanted to read this book.  It was highly recommended.

I went to our website at work and looked for it but Philly didn't own it.  So I put in an Interlibrary Loan and got it from Bethlehem, PA.

I learned so much about Eric Liddell.  What an amazing man he was.  The book went completely through his life -- from his time as a small child in China, his schooling in Scotland, his time at the Olympics in Paris, and his life as an adult when he returned to China to teach in a school and be a missionary.  He died in an Japanese interment camp during World War II after having gotten his wife and daughters out.  He never got to see his youngest daughter since his wife was pregnant when he was able to send her to her family in Canada.

There's so very much in this book.  It is both exciting and inspirational.  I wish I had known this man.  As I said, it is worth taking the time to read.

3 comments:

  1. Kathy, Thanks for the review. I like reading them...since I just can't seem to sit still to read any more. I really used to read a lot. Now I skim. Hope you have a fun weekend. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite inspiring man, indeed. Sounds like a good book to read. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know how his life ended! Loved the movie but never read the book. I hope to find it and read soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.