Sunday, April 17, 2011

SWEET, SWEET SPRING


Wish I had thought of this title, but this was the theme for the last week of the winter CSA.  It seems we got a lot of "greens" this week.  We got:
     1 head of butterhead lettuce
     1 bag of spinach (we have spinach coming out of our ears)
     1 bunch of kale (same for the kale)
     1/2 lb. of leeks
     4 Jonagold apples
     1 jar of apple butter
     Colby cheese
     1/2 gallon of milk
     1/2 lb. of Amish butter
     1 lb. of grass-fed ground beef
     2 vegan cookies -- one oatmeal raisin and one chocolate chip

In the farmer's market portion of the farm we bought a dozen eggs laid by various types of hens so the shells are all different colors.  I will take a picture of them and show you later.  They are really cool.

Don't know what I'm going to do with my share this week.  Guess I'll be getting on allrecipes.com or cooks.com to look for something.

It will be about a month before they start up the summer CSA.  That will give me time to use up all my winter veggies.

We cleaned out the fridge yesterday.  Amazing what accumulates in the back of the shelves.  Didn't know we had applesauce back there.  And mystery food too.  Ha, ha.  But I made a list of all the veggies we have so they won't get lost and I can work on getting them used before they go bad.  No sense getting a good deal on food you are going to throw in the trash.
 

4 comments:

  1. I had to laugh about your mystery food in the back of the refrigerator. I think we have had some of that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I just found some of that mystery food the husband forgot to throw out in the trash.

    The leeks look good. Have you thought about leek soup? You could put it in the crock pot before you go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leek soup sounds good. I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.