Friday, April 1, 2011

ANIMALS WITH BAD REPUTATIONS

We had a special program at the library yesterday.  It was presented by the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia where I used to work.  It was called "Animals with Bad Reputations".  Fortunately I was feeling better and was able to go to work all day so I got to see the show.


The presenter was Michelle.  She was very good, especially with the kids.  She had them involved, but kept things under control.


The first animal she had was a tarantula.  She told all kinds of interesting facts about it.  They won't bite unless they are afraid.  And they eat insects that are harmful to crops.



The second animal was a skunk.  It was so cute.  Of course it has been de-scented.  Again, skunks spray only when scared, hurt or threatened.  It's their defense mechanism.


My co-worker, Diane, had to get in on the action.  She asked if the skunk was a male or female.  (It's female.)

/

The third animal was a vulture.  It lives at the Academy because it was hit by a car, had a broken wing that didn't heal correctly, and can't fly.  It would die out in the wild.  It was a beautiful bird.  Vultures eat dead animals and help clean up the environment.


The last animal was a rat snake.  This is a golden rat snake.  Around Philly we have only black ones.  The rat snake is called this because it eats rats.  We all like that.

It lasted about an hour and was a great show.  So glad I was well enough to be there.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! I started to read your posts where I left off and ended up here. What an interesting show for the kids. The snake gives me the heebie jeebies!! I read this post to my son, he's sitting next to me. I thought he would like it because of the animals. He's 9 years old. He wanted me to tell you that he likes the snake and he can't imagine why snakes would have a bad reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those animals sound interesting. It must have been really neat having them,especially for the children. I am glad you were well enough to enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.