Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A TRIP THROUGH TIME AND AN EYE DOCTOR

Blogger has done it to me again.  I had this post all written last night and now it is gone.  I will try to recreate it.  (sigh)

I was feeling better and went back to work today.  It was not as bad as I thought it would be.  I haven't been nauseous at all and hardly went to the bathroom all day.  Pains are mostly gone.  Thank you, Lord.

I got a call from the surgeon's assistant at work today.  She wanted to know how I was feeling.  Also she said the doctor wanted me to go back into the hospital and have a CT scan, upper GI and MRI.  I told her I was getting better, it probably was a stomach virus and I was not going to get all those tests.  I am seeing the gastroenterologist on Thursday and would let her know what was going on next week.  So that's how we left it.

Being out for two weeks I did not know we were having a program and didn't bring my camera to work.  There were three fifth grade classes that came in to see a program put on by the National Constitution Center.  Joe and I have been wanting to go there for some time, but have never made it.  After seeing this program I really want to go now.  The man who did the program was so interesting.  The kids were so well behaved and really got into the program.  It was about children from colonial times until the early 20th century and how they lived and dressed.  He brought costumes and had the kids dress up and talked about their lifestyles.  I found some pictures on google images that are sort of like the costumes he brought.

The first boy was from colonial times.  He looked something like this:

At age 11 or 12 he would be apprenticed to learn a trade and was actually almost a slave to the master worker until age 18.  The boy chose to be apprenticed to Benjamin Franklin to learn to be a printer.

The second student was a Victorian girl.  She looked something like this:

She was from a wealthy family so she had servants and went to school rather than working in a factory to support her family.  The kids wanted to know how she could sit down in a hoop skirt and how she went to the bathroom with a long skirt.  Ha, ha.

The last child was a boy from the early 20th century.


By this time manufacturing had started with the Industrial Revolution.  More children were working in factories and living in cities rather than on farms.

Really great program.  Peggy (our children's librarian) was really pleased with how well it turned out.

Tonight Joe and I had an eye doctor's appointment.
 We both need new glasses.  My eyes have changed just a little, but Joe's have changed drastically.  At least it is not a change because of his diabetes.  The last test was having our pupils dilated and a bright light shone in them.  It was not pleasant but only the last part of the test hurt.  Joe found it really hard to take, but got through it.  We didn't realize how hard it would be to drive home, even with dark glasses.  All the lights we encountered looked like this.
 I prayed my way home and God brought us through safely.  Unfortunately the test was too much for Joe and after we got home he ended up having an epileptic seizure.  Bright lights do that to epileptics.  So I got him to bed and there he is now.  

I am going to wake him up now and get breakfast for us so we can start the day.  I hope this post doesn't get lost in cyberspace.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear about Joe's seizure. That is terrible. I am guessing he won't be doing that test at the eye doctor any more...jeez!

    The program at the library looks very interesting..I would love to have seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I am glad you are over the virus and are feeling better.

    Secondly, the program at the library looks so interesting. No wonder the kids loved it.

    Last, I am so sorry that Joe had a rough time at the eye doctor's. I guess you know what to do when he has a seizure. Hope his day goes well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.