Tuesday, September 6, 2022

SEPTEMBER FIRST AND LABOR DAY


 

Hello, friends!  Each day I mean to write here, and every day passes without it happening.  Let me at least try to get something down.

Years ago I used to show the turning of my calendar page each month.  For some reason it fell by the wayside.  But I am going to try to revive it.  Here is the calendar page for September.


Apples.  The beginning of fall.  Although I don't know what kind of bird that is.

September first was full of running errands.  In fact, I ended up driving for almost 3 hours.  From one side of the city to the other and back again.  

I began by driving south to pick up my grocery order from Shoprite.  Because my legs and feet are so swollen, I was not able to walk around the store. I put in an order online and went to pick it up rather than have it delivered.  I took Joe with me, and he was a gem doing all the legwork for me all morning. I then drove north to home and put the food away.

Next, we drove east to the Amazon pickup locker to get a package that I had delivered there.  Joe also went into the store and bought me a donut because I hadn't eaten anything yet.

The next stop was to drive north to church to pick up something from Pastor and then south to pick up my friend Debbie.  She had asked if I would drive her to the bank and of course I said yes.  From her house we drove even further south to get to the bank.  It was a good thing I had Joe with me because I had no clue how to get back to Debbie's house and he did.  Then we drove north again to take Debbie home.

After that we drove south again to drop something off at my friend Donna's house.  From there we drove far north to go to the bank.  I thought that was our last stop and we were going to go home.  But wait... there's more....

As we drove south to go home, we realized there were things we needed at Rite Aid.  So when we got back into our neighborhood, we drove east to go to Rite Aid.  Then south to get lunch at Wawa.  And finally north again to go home.

I thought I had it all figured out so we wouldn't have to backtrack so much but it didn't work out that way.  As you can see we drove all over the place and actually used up a quarter tank of gas!

After we ate lunch I took a nice long nap.  When I woke up I went to make dinner and found out that it took a LOT longer to cook than I had anticipated.  I always make spare ribs for dinner on September 1.  But...  I couldn't get the pre-packaged spare ribs and had to buy fresh ones.  I had never cooked fresh spare ribs before and when I looked up cooking directions on Google found out that it took 3 to 3 1/2 hours to cook!  It was already going for 7 p.m. so there was no way I was going to do it that night.  Joe took pity on me and called out to the local pizza place and got dinner delivered.  I had fried flounder with fries and coleslaw.  He had a California chicken wrap which is very good.  I was hungrier than he was.

So let's jump over to yesterday -- Labor Day.  I really didn't do much laboring.  About the most we did was go through some of Joe's clothes and we have a large pile of them to give to Salvation Army.  We just have to downsize here.  There is so much "stuff" in the house.  We will finish his clothes tomorrow and then move on to mine.  I'm sure I have a lot to get rid of too.

I made the spare ribs for dinner last night.  And they turned out wonderful!  I'm so glad to know how to do it now and will do it again.  I let them cook for 90 minutes covered with foil.  Then I added barbecue sauce, recovered them, and cooked them another 90 minutes.  They were so good and so tender.  I had them with fresh corn on the cob and asparagus.


Joe said they were very good.


I have to teach Bible Study this morning.  We are on the second part of James 2.  Then I will be doing more cleaning and discarding of things this afternoon.  I am determined to downsize.  Things have become ridiculous.

So I am going to get off of here and get busy.  I hope you all have a great day.  See you later.

Kathy







7 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting day driving all over Philly. I suppose it is nothing to a native, but it would be a big deal to me to get through Philadelphia once. ☺️ Glad that Joe could be your right hand man.

    I love spare ribs, but I have never made them. I had no idea they could be such a challenge. I can tell from Joe's expression that it was worth your while.

    Praying for things to settle down with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kathy, Boy, those spareribs sure look delicious! You may have talked me into buying some for later this week. I haven't had them for years and my grandpa made the best spareribs ever. I still remember how the meat practically dropped off the bone:) I wish you success with your decluttering! Every little bit helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of you to be determined "to get rid of things". I remember a few years back when we had to downsize. It actually felt great,in the end.
    So, keep going! You will not regret anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The days I'm running everywhere and back tracking are miserable . So glad you had Joe to be your go-for. My hubby usually goes with me so he can drop me off in front of the store and be there to pick me up. Only someone that has health issues will understand how much that helps. I did have knee surgery 8 days ago and my walking has improved. I'm so thankful!! We enjoy pork ribs too. I fry mine first and then put them in the crock pot. During our hot summer I really rely on that crock pot. Have a blessed, relaxing, rest of your week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathy. Sounds like a busy but overall nice Labor Day Weekend. You are so kind to help your friends by taking them places. It is fun to hear you speak of Wawa - I remember Wawa well from my time in Philly. They have good food! You inspire me to keep decluttering here at our home. I actually have another bag of clothing to donate sometime this week. I hope you are having a good week and that your legs aren't so swollen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciated the ride. Thank you! You always make the most
    delicious looking food. Joe is a great husband for being your go-fer. I
    agree that people don't realize how what they may consider a 'small thing' proves to be such a big help.
    Happy decluttering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was some busy day driving, Kathy, and glad Joe was along to help too. We really enjoyed ribs smoked on the grill years ago, but no longer can cook outdoors with apt life. Yours looked delicious. Decluttering is ongoing for all of us and we have several large items ready to be taken to a local thrift store.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.