Tuesday, May 31, 2022

MEMORIAL DAY


 Hello, friends!  Hope you had a great Memorial Day yesterday.  And I hope you remembered what Memorial Day actually is.  Not the start to summer.  Not National Barbecue Day.  It's to honor all of our fallen soldiers over the years.

I started off the day with the annual parade that goes through my neighborhood.  I took lots of pictures and a video that I will put up on my YouTube channel this weekend.  (I have been putting up videos every Saturday lately and found that this works best for me.  I would love to do more than one a week, but it is too hard right now to get that much together.)  In the meantime, here are the still shots I took.

This is Joe standing outside of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Society building that is across the street from our house.  Joe is the chaplain there.

I finally got the flower pot by the front door finished.  It has three American flags and a Marine Corp and a Navy flag.  Joe was in the Marines and I worked for the Navy for four years.

I also got the flag on the front door.

The Police and Fire Fife and Drum Corp began the parade with a salute to the veterans.

Then came Joe's group, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Society.  Joe chose not to march with them this year.


They gave a gun salute.



The Veterans of Foreign Wars was there.


Every year they sponsor a Miss Poppy contest.  Here is this year's winner.

We had eight string bands there too.  I'm pretty sure this was the Polish American band.


It was hot!  I was sitting in the sun and had to go back to the house to get some sunscreen.  My legs were getting red!

More marchers.  It was a long and beautiful parade.



It was so hot!!!  Some of the veterans went and got tents and set them up so we could sit in the shade.  It was very much appreciated.


I saw a fellow YouTuber there.  This is the Philly Captain.  I subscribe to his channel.  He shows all kinds of things happening around Philly.  Not all of them good.  I got to talk to him and told him I would give him a shout out.


Here is the Avalon String Band.


And the Civil War Reenactors.

Another string band but I don't remember which one this was.




A couple of the guys in Joe's group.


It was such a good parade.  And afterwards the veterans gave us sandwiches for lunch.  I had a tuna and cheese sandwich and a chocolate chip cookie.


Later in the afternoon there was a memorial service for those who could not come home.



I was going to make dinner, but it was so hot.  We had three sandwiches left over so we had that with some potato salad that I had made.

Another good Memorial Day.  It was full of honor, memories and fun.  Now on to June!

Until later...

Kathy







6 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that your community still does a parade to honor Memorial Day. Alas, mine does not. Thank you for all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice parade and to have it come right past your home! It was a very hot day ( as was today!), sandwiches and potato salad seems perfect. Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Joe.my Masters project as an old teacher was a Vietnam project…I interviewed dear Vietnam friends…they asked to be on my project. I wept…that was 2007…I taught from 1994-2017…retired in my sixties…every year I included a Vietnam section in my literature…exc teaching seniors which was English Lit…I had a tape my friend had made in Vietnam and put on a cassette for me…Good. A morning Vietnam music…in my weekly column, I often wrote about the Vietnam Vets…thank you dear man…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy. Thank you to Joe for his service! My oldest daughter is in officer in the Navy. My husband was a civilian accountant for the Air Force for 10 years. Both hubby's and my dad served in WWII. Amen to your thoughts about the real meaning of Memorial Day. Hope you have a good week. See you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing the photos! It's great they still do the parade. It is about remembering those that gave their lives for freedom. (That tuna looks sooo good!) Glad you had a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful way to honor our veterans. I hope they know how much we really do appreciate their service even though they may think we have forgotten all that they've done by serving this great country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.