Saturday, May 14, 2022

MAKING BREAD PUDDING


 Hello, friends!  Hope you are having a wonderful Saturday.  When I worked I looked forward to the weekends.  But working for the library I used to have to work Saturdays and some Sundays so weekends were whenever I got a day off!

I have been cleaning out the refrigerator this week.  What a lot of stuff gets shoved in there.  And I found doubles of several things.  I really must get on top of things more often.  I finished the door and the shelves.  Just have the vegetable drawers, meat drawer and freezer to finish.  Then I want to go through all the stuff (magnets, etc.) on the outside and scrub that down.  Things get dirty so quickly.

One thing I found was a lot of ends of loaves of bread.  Quite a few bags in fact.  Joe has a habit of saving the ends hoping I will make bread pudding.  Some of them had been in there a long time and I couldn't use them.  But a lot of them were usable.  So I made Joe his bread pudding for dinner tonight.  I thought I would show you how I made it.


I started by setting the oven for 375*F.  That's 190*C.


I used a 9" x 9" pyrex dish and put in two eggs.  I beat them up and then added 1 cup of sugar. 


I have been using 3/4 cup of sugar the last few times I made this, but forgot and added the entire cup.  It was a little too sweet for me, but Joe loved it.

Next I added about 1 tablespoon of vanilla.  I love this Amish made vanilla that I got in Lancaster County.  It is so much stronger and makes everything taste so good.



I mixed the vanilla in and then added about a quart of milk.


I mixed it all together and began adding the bread.



I was able to get four slices in each layer and got three layers of bread soaked through with the pudding mixture.


I sprinkled the top with cinnamon and put it in the oven for 45 minutes.


Here's what it looked like when it came out of the oven.


We had it for dessert and it was so good!

The recipe comes from my great-grandmother.  I think she must have gotten it from her grandmother because I just saw a recipe from 1820 that is identical to this except they added raisins to the pudding.  It must be a very old recipe.  Sometimes the oldies really are the goodies.

Here is the recipe taken from my mother's cookbook.


More cleaning and decluttering to do today.  I am working hard to get this house cleaned up.  And the grass cut.  But that will be for Sunday since we are to have rain today.

See you all later.

Kathy




13 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that recipe! It looks very easy - I will try it as we love Bread Pudding. I'm in Bucks County and it doesn't look like we'll see the sun again until Tuesday! Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! No what size the fridge is, it is surprising how much 'stuff' it holds! The pudding looks delicious. I'm beginning to think there is no end to decluttering.... I have one victory as I'm throwing out any incoming mail that I'm not interested in or will not be answering in the next day or two. It may not lower the current stack , but at least I'm not adding to it! Stay pawsitive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing how many things we forget about in the fridge, so glad you found a delicious use for all Joe’s collected bread, Kathy. There’s so many recipes for bread pudding and yours looked easy. We are on a getaway now and so the fridge was decluttered before we left and shelves will be wiped down before new groceries are put in when we return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you mention that you are moving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would like to move but there is nothing available that we can afford. So for now we stay where we are and try to deal with all the stuff going on on this block. It is not a fun place to live anymore. I know God will show us where we should be, though. And when.

      Delete
  5. My Dad loved bread pudding but I made it with crumbles of bread. Enjoy your weekend...don't work too hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Crumbled bread. That sounds really interesting. I am going to have to try it. I have never had it any way except this way.

      Delete
  6. I love bread pudding and appreciate that you posted this recipe. I have made it from your youtube post several times. I need to clean out my fridge as well. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it. Not everyone watches my YouTube channel so since I was making it, I thought I would post it here. It seems we all have to clean out our fridges. So easy to accumulate things there.

      Delete
  7. I save the ends of bread thinking I'll make salad croutons. I usually wind up having to toss them. I like the bread pudding idea better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My dad loved bread pudding and would get it at one of the buffet restaurants if it was available. I have never eaten it but in seeing your recipe, it certainly looks good and I may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will have to try this. I didn't like bread pudding growing up but when I worked in the memory care unit of a nursing home we made it once a month as an activity and I liked it. We tore the bread up, so your recipe would be quicker. I like quicker!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting dessert! It's always fun to make recipes from family. I have a cinnamon rolls recipe from my mom that she made years ago. I had to get rid of stuff in freezer that was moved into the new one a few months ago. I couldn't believe how old some of it was...1990? wowow!!!! Always something to keep on doing. We have had rain alot lately but it's getting warmer, thankfully! Take care!
    Becky
    grandmabeckyl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I love hearing from you. A name must accompany your comment No anonymous comments will be accepted. Thanks for your understanding.